Can I have a Multi Checkboxes type Custom Field of JIRA groups?

Doods Perea September 11, 2013

A clients wants to have a custom field of multi-checkboxes type that would have JIRA group as values. When one or more groups are selected, he wants the members of these groups to be able to view the relevant JIRA ticket.

Question: Will JIRA render the checkbox value as a valid "group name"?

Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Doods Perea September 23, 2013

Using checkboxes to contain JIRA groups will not work as JIRA will not render properly.

0 votes
Doods Perea September 17, 2013

After further investigation I came to the conclusion that multiple checkboxes containing group name values will not be rendered properly by JIRA.

0 votes
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2013

Hello Doods Perea,

You create a customfield which is of type Multi Group Picker and associate it on create screen.

Now create a Issue Security scheme and in the security levels select customfield as Group CustomField value and associate the Issue Security Scheme to your project. Probably your client requirement is satisfied.

Doods Perea September 12, 2013

Hi Bharadwaj - that's how I would do it, it's just that the client prefer multi checkboxes rather than hte group multi picker. I told him JIRA may not render the values from the checkboxes as groupnames and just treat them as text. That is why I'm checking here if anyone has done it before using checkboxes.

0 votes
Doods Perea September 11, 2013

Thanks for the prompt response Christian.

There COULD be more than 1 group, depending on the choice of the Reporter.

What will happen here is that the custom field (in our case "Viewers") will be added to the "Security Level", thereby giving the selected group or groups the ability to view the issue.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2013

Depending on how many groups we are talking about, why don't you use security levels?

Suggest an answer