Can I get a dashboard gadget that shows a sprint burndown when I'm using Rapid Boards?

Jamie Gordon August 14, 2012

Using an agile rapid board. It appears that all the gadgets for burndowns, etc. all work off of Fix Version. What do I need to do gtop get a Dashboard/Wallboard gadget to show Sprint burndowns, status bars, etc?

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Darren Martz August 14, 2012

They currently do not exist. Maybe Atlassian can speak to when they might be returning to us?

0 votes
ChrisM October 8, 2012

Oh wow. Then for some reason yours is just working completely different then mine. There must be some other difference in our projects or something. I'm sorry for getting your hopes up!

Agreed that it is disappointing how low it is in priority...

Neil Padgen October 8, 2012

No problem Chris, thanks for trying!

0 votes

Nope, they all have a fixVersion attached.

It's disappointing to see how far down the backlog GHS-5345 is sitting, as there are people crying out for it. https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=96&view=planning.nodetail

0 votes
ChrisM October 8, 2012

Did you happen to see my update in my answer? I discovered that the agile gadget seems to silently add another condition to the filter you use: "AND NOT fixVersion is EMPTY".

So... I would assume that all of the tasks/stories you are burning down right now have no fix version assigned. In my opinion, Agile Gadget should handle this-- but it doesn't.

If that's not your issue (and these tasks do have a fixVersion), then I have no idea what's going on. The truth is, Atlassian really needs to truly support more useful gadgets for their new sprint-based boards!

0 votes

Chris, this is still not working for me. We started a new Sprint on October 1, and I've set up the agile gadget using a filter with manual dates as you suggest. However, it doesn't seem to be reporting any of the stats that the GreenHopper agile board burndown report tracks.

Here is the output from the agile gadget:

and this is the burndown (from the Sprint Report) that I'd expect to see:

0 votes
ChrisM September 23, 2012

EDIT: I just discovered that even this is not accurate. The Agile Gadget secretly adds "AND NOT fixVersion is EMPTY" to your filter when it executes! So it will not include issues with no fixVersion!

Hmmmm... I think I figured out the problem. My agile gadget is based on a *filter*, whereas yours is based on a *project*. Here's what I'd try: (1) Create a saved filter like this: 'project = XYZ and Sprint in openSprints()', then (2) Add a new Agile Gadget and base it on the saved filter.

If 'Sprint in openSprints()' isn't sufficient for what you need, then you can also create a filter for specific sprints based off the sprint id (that can be a little tricky to get, but let me know if you need help with it).

With a filter-based gadget, you should get an info tab that looks like this:

0 votes
Neil Padgen September 20, 2012

Jamie: You may want to vote for GHS-5345 (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5345) which asks Atlassian for Rapid Board-compatible gadgets.

Chris: That doesn't work for me - maybe because I've planned in future releases and put some tasks into upcoming Sprints. The Classic Agile Gadget gives me a burndown to the end of November rather than my current Sprint (which is due to end next Tuesday).

ChrisM September 20, 2012

Neil: on the agile gadget click the "Info" tab. You can set the start and end date there.

Neil Padgen September 23, 2012

Nope, no option to set the start and end date. It seems resolutely locked to the Release, which will consist of a number of Sprints.

0 votes
Cassi Cannon August 19, 2012

You can use [sprint in openSprints()] in you query/filter to view tasks in the current sprint.

Hopefully they release full support soon :-)

Jamie Gordon August 19, 2012

The Gadget asks for a FixVersion, so this suggestion by itself will not produce a correct burndown.

ChrisM September 20, 2012

If you use "Greenhopper Classic Agile Gadget" you don't need to specify a FixVersion-- it requires only a query or project. Then you can use "Sprint in openSprints()" as the query, and set the start and end dates in the gadget manually. Works for me!

ChrisM September 23, 2012

Doh! As noted in my post below, I just discovered that even this is not accurate. The Agile Gadget secretly adds "AND NOT fixVersion is EMPTY" to your filter when it executes! So it will not include issues with no fixVersion!

Suggest an answer