Can I generate a Jira ticket from one Jira project to another?

I have one project ticket that is created but want it also to exist in another area to be managed.

I hope this makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

3 answers

Clone Plus for JIRA provides a Clone issue operation that allows you to clone to a different project among other things including customized operations.

Always a good choice when this question comes up smile

0 vote

An issue lives in a single project, you can't have it in more than one.

You could clone, move and link it, but the separate issues will remain separate.  (Unless you start coding)

Thanks Nick. How does the cloning process work? I'm ok if they remain duplicate items in different areas (this is due to too many chefs...). I just need the ticket to be generated in another project area that is visible to a different audience.

It's basic, as Atlassian were given so many use cases, there's no way they could code for all of them.

You click "clone", and you get a new issue in the same project with all the same fields set the same as the original.  As a new issue, the history and comments are removed, as they relate to the old one (Optionally, it prefixes the summary with "clone" and provides a link between the two)

There are a number of add-ons that do more - clone and move, and clone plus are the two I've used.  You'd want to compare them for yourself (although I lean towards clone plus myself)

JIRA "Clone" feature will work for you if you just need a copy of a JIRA issue to/from a JIRA Project (NOTE: it has no dependencies or relationship at all, it's just a pure copy).

If you have to 2 separate JIRA instances, you can do a "Remote Copy" to your JIRA instance (This option will only appear if you have configured application links between your 2 JIRA instances).

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,334 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot