Can I generate a Jira ticket from one Jira project to another?

David Dorsey February 8, 2016

I have one project ticket that is created but want it also to exist in another area to be managed.

I hope this makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

3 answers

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2016

Clone Plus for JIRA provides a Clone issue operation that allows you to clone to a different project among other things including customized operations.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2016

Always a good choice when this question comes up smile

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2016

JIRA "Clone" feature will work for you if you just need a copy of a JIRA issue to/from a JIRA Project (NOTE: it has no dependencies or relationship at all, it's just a pure copy).

If you have to 2 separate JIRA instances, you can do a "Remote Copy" to your JIRA instance (This option will only appear if you have configured application links between your 2 JIRA instances).

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2016

An issue lives in a single project, you can't have it in more than one.

You could clone, move and link it, but the separate issues will remain separate.  (Unless you start coding)

David Dorsey February 8, 2016

Thanks Nick. How does the cloning process work? I'm ok if they remain duplicate items in different areas (this is due to too many chefs...). I just need the ticket to be generated in another project area that is visible to a different audience.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2016

It's basic, as Atlassian were given so many use cases, there's no way they could code for all of them.

You click "clone", and you get a new issue in the same project with all the same fields set the same as the original.  As a new issue, the history and comments are removed, as they relate to the old one (Optionally, it prefixes the summary with "clone" and provides a link between the two)

There are a number of add-ons that do more - clone and move, and clone plus are the two I've used.  You'd want to compare them for yourself (although I lean towards clone plus myself)

Suggest an answer