Can I find out who deleted one of our custom fields (and when)?

Mark C February 16, 2014

Hi All,

We've had a custom field go missing, thankfully all of the commentary has been persisted in the history for the issue.

Is there anyway in which I can find out:

- when

-who

-how

the custome field was deleted?

We are using Jira 6.0.4 (with Greenhopper plugin)

Cheers

3 answers

2 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2014
The only way is to look in the access logs for the custom fields urls.
1 vote
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

Hi Mark,

You can trace the logs in /data/jira/logs/catalina.out. And on deletion of custom field it will log looks like

/secure/admin/DeleteCustomField.jspa [issue.fields.option.OptionSetPersisterImpl] All options removed for config id12550

In this line we can see the user who deleted and when, with this custom field id.

Thanks,

Patina

0 votes
Peter Macdonald January 7, 2015

Hi Patina

The log message you described from catalina.out actually displays the id of the FieldConfigScheme associated with the custom field that has been deleted.

e.g. I deleted custom field with id 10501. The log message read:

/secure/admin/DeleteCustomField.jspa [issue.fields.option.OptionSetPersisterImpl] All options removed for config id10601

Prior to the delete operation, my CONFIGURATIONCONTEXT table had a row that read:

ID=11217, PROJECTCATEGORY=(null), PROJECT=(null), CUSTOMFIELD=customfield_10501, FIELDCONFIGSCHEME=10601

So you need to know that relationship before you can positively confirm the details of the deletion of the custom field.

Daniel's response is more accurate as it displays the actual customfield id of the deleted field in a number of messages:

• "https://jira.myserver.com/secure/admin/DeleteCustomField!default.jspa?id=10501"

Regards

Peter

Suggest an answer