Can I filter release notes to exclude 'internal' issues?

Ed May August 29, 2012

We often have the situation where to resolve an issue, we need to raise a related issue. For example in order to satisfiy the issue:

UNI-115 - "The asset ID should be displayed on the Fault Screen"

we have raised

UNI-116 - "The DAO routine for retrieving Faults needs to be extended to include asset ID".

When we produce release notes for the customer - using the inbuilt JIRA release notes template system - we would like to exclude UNI-116, as it is not relevant to the customer.

One solution I can see is to introduce a custom field marking the UNI-116 as 'internal' or 'do not display on customer release notes', and then amend the release notes templates for customer release notes to take this field into account.

Alternatively, can we raise sub-issues and exclude sub-issues on customer release notes? One disadvantage of this would be that we may want some sub-issues to be customer-visible.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome!

James

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ed May October 9, 2012

I think the best answer is to use an 'internal' custom field.

0 votes
Cyril Egan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

This might work...

1. Add a secrity scheme to the project with one security level - "Internal Only".
  2. Configure the scheme so the default level is 'none'.
  3. Set the security level on the internal issues to 'Internal Only'.
  4. Create a new user for your self to mimic being non internal.
  5. Run your release notes as this user.
Ed May August 29, 2012

Cyril,

Thanks for the suggestion. On balance, I think a simple 'internal' custom field is going to be the answer!

Suggest an answer