Can I export a report from JIRA Server and import it into JIRA Cloud?

Craig Silver August 2, 2018

We have the need to carve out specific tickets from an existing JIRA Server instance and migrate them to a new JIRA Cloud instance. I ran two issue reports and exported them to two .xml files. On JIRA Cloud, I am a member of: administrators, jira-administrators and jira-software-users and site-admins. However, the only import option I see is:

• Choose the Jira icon (, or ) > Jira settings > System
  • Under IMPORT AND EXPORT, click Restore system

This is part of the instructions that I found at:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-issues-776636788.html

Am I correct that "Restore system" is only capable of restoring a (wholesale) backup of Server?  Unfortunately, I cannot extract all of the Server data because the need is to carve out a subset. Is that possible, and how?

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2018

Hi, Craig.

Yes, the restore system only applies to a complete back up of the server. Since you require a specific subset of ticket from your JIRA Server instance, may I suggest you to look into csv import as an alternative?

Additionally, please take a look at the Reference section for more insights too. Perhaps you can consider this method and give it a try on your Cloud staging instance first before implementing it on the production server?

Craig Silver August 7, 2018

Thank you, I will investigate the CSV route.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2018

Hello, Craig.

You are most welcome. Please let me know how it goes on your end and verify that the import is successful on JIRA Cloud. If everything works smoothly, please proceed to accept the solution above. Thanks! 

Suggest an answer