Can I enable JEMH logging without a JIRA restart?

krussell101 December 1, 2013

I've followed the recommendations for getting JEMH logging set up. However, it's really inconvenient for our users to restart JIRA. Is there a way to get JEMH to being logging WITHOUT a Jira restart?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2013

Auditing can be enabled or disabled on the fly by clicking on the Audit tab, and then selecting enable or disable as appropriate.

Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2013

Appologies, I should have explained better. When you have brought up the JEMH configuration screen (you need to have JIRA admin priv), you will see at the top of the configuration screen as serious of tabs "Welcome" "Profiles" "Blacklisting" etc. the 10 one over from the left, is "Auditing". Click on that, and you should then see the Audit selection. It will be Green if its enabled, or Red if its disabled.

(If you are using a older version of JEMH, then the tabs are located on the left of your screen, instead of the top of your screen)

krussell101 December 1, 2013

Where is the Audit tab? (Sorry, used to an earlier version of Jira. Using v6.1 now.)

krussell101 December 5, 2013

Found it. Thanks. (My JIRA is timing out before it will render the auditing page, so I'm going to have to circle back to that.)

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2013

Without a restart you can go to JIRA logging and profiling, and add the custom package: com.javahollic.jira.emh at DEBUG level you'll get a lot of traffic in the atlassian-jira-incoming-mail.log but it will be horizontally large, and difficult to manage, potentially with many concurrent processings.

To create a dedicated JEMH logfile, you will need to follow the https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Installation%2C+Setup+and+Logging page and modify your JIRA_HOME/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties file. Such a change does require a restart to take effect.

Mike Harrison _The Plugin People_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2017

Adding the package name via JIRA Admin>Logging & profiling will append JEMH log output to the atlassian-jira.log file

Suggest an answer