Can I delete the content of the /plugins/.osgi-plugins/transformed-plugins folder in JIRA?

Matti Kiviharju
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2017

Can I delete the content of the /plugins/.osgi-plugins/transformed-plugins folder in JIRA?

Because it containt too much installation files of JIRA Add-ons and causes that my server hard disc space runs down.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2017

You can delete it.

But.  Only when JIRA is offline, and after you restart, you must expect JIRA to replace all the files it needs in there.

If you still have the add-ons in there, then it's going to recreate what it needs.  In most cases, you are looking in the wrong place to save hard disk space if you're looking here.

Matti Kiviharju
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2017

Content on that folder takes a 19 Gb of hard disc space. And on my virtual private server haves a 60 Gb hard disc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2017

There's not a lot else we can tell you.  You should try clearing and restarting, after removing any add-ons you don't need, but the directory will re-grow to the size it needs after restarting.

You need fewer add-ons or more disk space.

Like Simone Kistner likes this
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2018

Jira is keeping every version of an add-on you have installed  here. Not only the latest version. If you update add-ons a lot this directory may grow. Cleaning it should help, after restart Jira will put only the latest version. In my development environment, I have found more than 100 version of the my add-on in this folder. 

Like # people like this
Matti Kiviharju
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2018

I am just Jira Add-on Vendor and allways I upload my changes to my Add-on .jar-file then it makes a new .jar-file to this folder and sometimes for this reason my VPS hard disc space runs to zero if I do not delete outdated .jar-files. If answerd is yes I can delete them then this problem is sovled.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2018

That's very dodgy, as it will naturally remove dead ones on update.

And it will re-create any that it needs.

Henk Keuris November 15, 2018

I can confirm that deleting that folder contents recreates only the versions of the plugins that the server needs after service restart. Previously, it held every version of the plugin that we had previous installed. It also creates a backups folder in {JIRA_HOME}/plugins/.osgi-plugins-backup, which also has a transformed-plugins folder, which has ANOTHER copy of all the plugins. Deleting this, for me, didn't make any difference, nor did it recreate the plugins into this backup folder. I suspect that it'll create backups when we do plugin updates.

0 votes
tosina01 November 7, 2019

I search through all the plugins directory but I can 't find plugins/.bundled-plugins and JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins

What is most likely be the directory to this path.

Matti Kiviharju
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2020

What is your OS?

Matti Kiviharju
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2020

If you have Linux then right folder is /var/atlassian and so on.

Suggest an answer