Can I create e-mail notifications to a component?

Lena Movshovich December 12, 2013

Can I create e-mail notifications to a component? Can Jira only do this for projects?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2013

Hi Lena,

It might actually be much easier with the ''Component Watcher'' addon: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.burningcode.jira.plugin.jiracomponentwatcher

It's worked for us so far.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2013

Hi Lena, JIRA can't do that out of the box, but JEMH can.

You can use Project Mappings to route mail based on criteria like addressee, then you can supply specific keys/values. In your scenario, you would set the key to be the name of a Group Picker custom field, with the value of your 'component group'. Your notification scheme would have this custom field in it, and so would notify that group when specific events occurred, repeated for other events as needed.

See the How To on Project Mappings, in current releases there is only one 'user custom field' settable, but the next 1.5.15 release will increase this to 3.

Thank you, Andy!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2013

As Timothy implies, this is not a clear question.

My best guess is that you want to have emails that raise issues in a project and tag it with a relevant component? This isn't possible in the standard mail handlers. You could write your own (bear in mind, you will need to come up with some sort of rule about how Jira is to read an email to look for a component), or there's the standard fix for this - use the JEMH addon to do it.

Thank you, Nic!

More details are below:

We have projects; they are broken into components; each component has a Component Owner who is the default person each new component bug will be assigned to. So, the component owner will be notified as soon as a new bug againt the component is entered.

Each component owner has a group of developers working on the component (they have a group e-mail account). So what we want is not to only notify the component owner when a new bug is entered, but also to send an e-mail notificatication to the entire group.

We would also want to notify a new component group (not just the component owner of the group), if an issue gets re-assigned to it.

Does Jira support this functionality out of the box or we need an addon.

Thank you,

- Lena

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2013

Pretty much as I said before. Jira lets you raise issues in a project via email.

If you want to import more than just a flat description, you need something more clever, i.e. JEMH (because it's easier than writing your own code)

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

Huh? Please further describe your question.

Suggest an answer