Can I create an additional Fix Version field?

Ifatsharifi November 25, 2017

We're working with major and minor version.

Can I create an additional Fix Version field for the minor versions?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2017

Not in the sense I think you mean.

I suspect you want something like three fields for the version, so when someone says "version 9.3.8", the 9, the 3 and the 8 are all separate fields.

Jira doesn't work like that, it expects a version to be a single version.  A lot of us stick to x.y.z to name them, but Jira just looks at a unique name and does not judge the naming scheme.  9.3.8 and Penguin are equally valid names.

Ifatsharifi November 26, 2017

Actually, That's not what I want.

What I want it to have 3 fields that work the same:

1. Fix Version - for the major version in which the issue was fixed. e.g. version 3.26 (EXISTS)
  2. Affects Version/s - for the version in which the issue was found. (EXISTS)
  3. Minor Version - for the minor version in which the issue was fixed. e.g. version 3.26.1 (DOESN'T EXIST)

Thanks for the reply!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2017

Ok, that's not far off, it's what I said but with the major and minor in one field rather than two - you want a field for the point releases.  Not a "version" field, but a "point release which has nothing to do with version" field.

My answer still stands - versions are a single attribute - 3.26.1, 3.26.2 and 3.26.3 are all different versions for Jira, because, in reality, they are different versions of the software with (very slightly) different features and separate builds, testing routines, etc. 

To add a point release field, just use a number field, or a drop-down with all possible numbers you might use on point releases.

Or, you could get a bit more strict and create a set of fields with the major/minor/point selectable, and script or code for any data put in those to be consolidated and pushed into the version field instead of users entering it.

Suggest an answer