Can I create a report with priority names?

Milo Grika November 26, 2019

I can create a spreadsheet report of tickets that shows the priority icon, but I need to display the name (or convert that to another value).

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019

Hello Milo,

Thank you for reaching out.

Indeed, most of Jira reports use the priority icon instead of the priority name of the issues, however, if you only need a spreadsheet report containing some specific issue fields and the name of the respective Priorities, you can simply export your issues in a CSV spreadsheet and use any external software (Like google sheets) to display it. These would be the steps:

- Navigate to your issue navigator > Create a filter to return all the issues you want

- Selecting the List View, add all the columns (fields) you want your report to display:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 20.07.53.png

- Select to export > Export Excel (Current Fields)

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 20.08.04.png

Let us know if this information helps.

Milo Grika December 4, 2019

Actually that is the whole reason for wanting priority words. The user making the request needs to extract data and was hoping to minimize the manual labor of filling in / changing data.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2019

Hello Milo,

Thank you for your answer.

Sorry, but I think I did not manage to fully understand your request. Please, allow me to ask you some questions so we can better know we're on the same page:

As mentioned above, the export to CSV contains the priority words, Not the Icon field. For the CSV view, the issue will display the Icon of the priority itself, but once the data is extracted the priority name will appear in the respective CSV Column/field. That being said:

- Can you please give us more details on how they want to minimize the manual labor of filling in / changing data?

- Why they would need to have the priority field name before exporting the Issues since it can be defined in the JQL itself?

Milo Grika December 9, 2019

OK, thank you for following up! I got your first response to work, and while there are still a few steps, it's probably good enough.

What would make it easier is if we can display that filtered list in Confluence. I can use the Insert JIRA Issue/Filter macro, but the type and priority are icons and a custom field is not populating (though is does in Jira). If I copy the URL of the filtered list, it uses the default columns instead of my customized. Finally, I can take the Excel spread sheet and dump that in a Confluence page, with some additional formatting, and while I gain the type and priority text and even the custom field, I lose the link to the ticket.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
December 10, 2019

Hello Milo, 

Thank you for your answer.

Indeed, the Jira macro in Confluence has the limitation you mentioned. We had a feature request before to display the priority names instead of icons in Jira, However, it was not implemented due to the low number of people that requested it:

Show priority name in issue view 

That being said, a workaround for your problem (Although it can be a little cumbersome) would be to add the issues with the link by bulk adding the URL (https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/browse/) before the issue key in the Excel Spreadsheet.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer