Can I create a quick filter that shows only In Progress stories and all their subtasks

Jim Constant July 17, 2015

This has been asked a couple of times in older posts but never answered so I'm going to try again.

I want to create a quick filter that that will show only stories that are in progress and I'd like to see all of the subtasks of each of these stories, whether they're in progress or not. However, this isn't working:

sprint in openSprints() AND ((issuetype = Story and status = "In Progress") OR (issuetype = Sub-task))

This doesn't seem to filter out anything and I think it's because the 'OR (issuetype = Sub-task)' might cause the parent stories to show even if they're not In Progress.

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2015

If you have ScriptRunner installed you can do this to find the subtasks of the currently in-progress Stories:

issuefunction in subtasksOf('sprint in openSprints() AND issuetype = Story and status = "In Progress"')

If you want to show the stories as well you can create and save a new filter, let's call it InProgressStories with the following JQL:

sprint in openSprints() AND issuetype = Story and status = "In Progress"

Then your query that find both is:

issuefunction in subtasksOf('filter = InProgressStories') or filter = InProgressStories

Make sure you start a new search before running the last one, otherwise you'll get a warning about a cyclical reference.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2015

btw, subtasksOf, parentsOf, linkedIssuesOf do just what Nic was saying - take a list of issues and return something else.

0 votes
Jim Constant July 21, 2015

Thanks, Jamie! I'll look into whether or not we're using ScriptRunner.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2015

I think it was answered with "you can't", natively.  JQL searches for issues flatly, it doesn't do "read a list and do something with the contents of that list" type things.

Your thought about what is missing from your query is spot-on - "or issuetype = subtask" really does mean "all subtasks", and you need to filter that with "and parent is an in-progress story".  Which you can't do.

What you need is a JQL function that can say "look at parent and check its data", but I'm not aware of one that you could add which would do it.

Jim Constant July 18, 2015

Yep, I think you're right, Nic.