It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I create a filter to show tasks and stories in an epic, but NOT sub-tasks of the stories> Edited

We're all new to JIRA here and have little to no guidance on how to use it.

We've decided in out team of 3 people to create Epics for our major pieces of work and create tasks assigned to those epics for actual work items.

I've created a Kanban board to show each epic and Kanban boards for each Epic to show the tasks.

Some of the tasks within an epic should really be broken down a bit more, so I was going to create a story within the epic and have tasks linked to that story.

So I'd like the Kanban board for the epic to show any tasks linked to the epic that are not part of a story, any stories linked to the epic but not taksa linked to those stories.

For example: we have an epicx with a story and 8-10 tasks. all of the tasks have the epic as their 'epic link' but one of the tasks has the store as it's Issue Link 'is included by', This is the sort of task what to filter out, just showing the story that includes it.

Is that possible? 

I may, of course, be using JIRA completely incorrectly as we have had no training nor guidance on how to use it.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Jan 06, 2020

You should use the following considerations:

• Maintain the designed relationship of Epic > Story > Sub-task
  • Setup your board to display by Epic
  • I recommend displaying the sub-tasks w/in the board but if you do not wish to do so then you can exclude them in the board's filter, i.e. include the following in your filter "...AND issuetype != sub-task..."

The only issue types we appear to have available are Epics, Stories and Tasks.

Out team is part of a larger organisation which is represented by one project in JIRA, which is why I want to use Epics to organise the type of work we do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you