Can I create a custom project type?

Brian_Candiloro June 8, 2016

I think the answer will be no, because Atlassian clearly has something in mind for this... but at the moment it is completely useless as far as I can tell.  What is the actual different between software and business projects?  How does the functionality change?  Seems to me most everyone will have all of there projects be "Software" anyway so how can this be useful.

For my case it is even worse, because we use JIRA for Hardware development.  We have only one software product and about 3 dozen hardware projects.  The naming conventions should be more generic like "Product" instead of "Software".  Or provide other options like "Hardware" or maybe something customizable.  This would make the tool more flexible and consistent across a variety of businesses uses.

What options do I have in JIRA - On demand?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

Not on Cloud - the project types are provided by add-ons.  You can write add-ons for JIRA for more project types.  But you cannot deploy that type of add-on on Cloud.

You basically have no options, you're stuck with them.

Brian_Candiloro June 8, 2016

Do you know where can I find project type add-ons?  I do not see that category in the Marketplace.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2016

You'd need to define a search specifically.  I don't think  many make it to the marketplace because all the ones I've seen (and written) only work for one particular case - they're very client specific.

Suggest an answer