Can I create a custom field to capture resizing of a task?

Kateryna Cuddeback May 2, 2022

When I export to a CSV, I can find information like when a task was created, and how many story points were added through that task creation.  I am wondering how I might be able to capture how many story points are added to a project through task resizing.  Is there a custom field that could reflect story resizing (either increasing or decreasing original story points)?

In the Burndown chart, you can see that a task was resized, and by how much.  But I'd love to be able to capture that information in a CSV export, so I don't have to manually calculate that scope change.

Appreciate any insights into this problem!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

Hello @Kateryna Cuddeback 

Welcome to the community.

Yes, you could do this with an Automation rule.

You would need to create a custom number field to hold the change to the Story Points value.

Then create an Automation rule that is triggered by a change to the Story Points field.

Then use the smart value object {{fieldChange}} to get the original and new value of the field. Subtract one from the other and that will give you the difference. Store that value in your custom field. You can find more info on the fieldChange object on this page:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/

If the story points field may change multiple times you will also need to factor that in, and add/subtract the difference of the current change from the value already stored in your custom field.

Or, you could create one custom field for storing the original non-zero value set for Story Points. You would need an Automation rule to set that field when the Story points field is changed from nothing to a value. Then have another custom field where you store the difference between you Original Story Points field and the built in Story Points field, and update that with another rule each time the built in Story Points field changes.

Kateryna Cuddeback May 3, 2022

Thanks Trudy - I appreciate the quick reply.  I'll work on implementing this, & hopefully won't have any more questions on it!

Suggest an answer