Can I copy a workflow?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2023

I'd like to create a modified version of a workflow that is used by one project at present, but hold onto the original in case I need it.  Is there a way of doing that, so I don't have to create the modified version from scratch?  Does editing and publishing save my original version?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2023

Hi @Phil Bustin,

It depends if your workflow is in a team managed or company managed project.

For team managed projects, this is currently only a feature request that you can track here: JSWCLOUD-21700 

For company managed projects, yes you can! Workflows are managed centrally by a Jira administrator under Jira settings > Issues > Workflows. There is a copy link available under actions when you select it from the list of workflows:

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 20.30.14.png 

At first, clicking that link will create a brand new copy that is exactly the same as the workflow you started from. That copy is available under inactive workflows and any changes you make there will not affect the original workflow.

Once you have modified the copy, you will have to associate it with one or more projects to make it active. That is done via a workflow scheme - the vehicle used to link workflows to issue types in a project. This support article may be a good starting point to learn more about that.

Hope this helps!

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2023

Very helpful; thanks!

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2023

Yes, if you go to Settings > Issues > Workflows and once you located the workflow you want to copy just click on the three-dot menu on the right and you should see Copy as an option.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2023

It was right in front of my nose!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Lance Waldrop April 4, 2024

Edit: I didn't see that if you modify an existing status it will impact other workflows that use that status, not the workflow itself.

Has anyone else experienced a bug where modifying a copy (only) of an active workflow is also modifying the active workflow too?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2024

If you by editing mean renaming a status, then yes, this is expected. You should never rename a status from within the workflow itself. The rename should only happen from Settings > Issues > Statuses because from that view you will see how many workflows the rename will affect. 

Like Lance Waldrop likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events