Can I copy a role to another project?

Urszula Forenc March 16, 2018

HI Everyone,

I have here a project role "Recruiter" for project 1. I'd like to copy it for project 2, but with no access to project 1. Just role and connected permissions.

Editing doesn't have a "copy" function.

Jira 6.

Possible?

Thank you in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2018

As @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- said, roles aren't copied. You need to give the recruiter role permissions in the permission scheme associated with the project. If you mean role membership copied between projects, no. 

Urszula Forenc March 19, 2018

Thank you!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2018

I'm pretty sure you do not mean "role" here.

Roles in Jira are created by administrators, and apply across ALL projects at all times.  (Whether the project uses them is another story).  There is no "copy role" because there's nothing to copy a role to, once it exists, it's available in all projects.

Could you explain what you're trying to do in different terms?

Urszula Forenc March 19, 2018

A "recruiter" has different permissions in workflow, sees more fields than a user etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2018

That does not explain what you are trying to do in terms of the question.

If someone in a role should have different abilities by project, then you should configure the permission scheme and workflow to tell Jira that the role behaves differently in each project. 

Suggest an answer