Can I copy a field value from sub-task to the parent issue

James Porter January 21, 2014

Hi,

I am looking for a method to update a parent issue custom field with data from a sub-task when I transition a sub-task. (perhaps some post-function?)

Each of our issues will have one sub-task that will be assigned to a different user from the owner of the parent issue.

Part of our workflow requires the owner of the sub-task to input some text into a custom field. When the sub-task is closed I would like to copy that text to a custom field on the parent issue.

(for reporting purposes - we only look at the parent issue, but want to see this text update captured on the sub-task)

I hope this makes sense and any suggestions are welcomed

thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2014

Hi James,

The JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugin has the post function you need :

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions

Best regards,

Peter

James Porter January 28, 2014

Thanks Peter. No way of doing this without adding a paid-for addon?

1 vote
Jira Merch Admin May 15, 2019

Run a script as postfunction on the tansition to Done on the subtask. 

def parentKey = issue.fields.parent.key
def issueKey = issue.key
def tradeTermsKey

def parent = get("/rest/api/2/issue/" + parentKey)
.header('Content-Type', 'application/json')
.asObject(Map).body

def parentUpdate = put('/rest/api/2/issue/' + parentKey)
.header('Content-type', 'application/json')
.body([
fields: [
customfield_11901: issue.fields.customfield_11901, // Customer updated from number field to text field
customfield_11900: issue.fields.customfield_11900 // Vendor updated from number field to text field
]
])
.asString()

1 vote
Cori Drew July 5, 2017

These are all paid extensions. Are there any plans to add a post-build step to copy a field value to parent?

0 votes
LukasG December 13, 2016

Another option is the newest version of the plugin Workflow Essentials for JIRA.

It contains a post function to copy values from sub-task to parent (and vice versa if you need that).

0 votes
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

edit-sub-tasks.png

(this example updates the description, in a sub-task when the parent changes, but you could reverse this too so a sub-task update, updates the parent)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Suggest an answer