Can I connect jira to multiple databases?

Simon Huang October 23, 2017

I am creating a plugin where I need a user to input data and update an external oracle database. Currently, my jira instance is connected to a postgres database for all of it's normal jira functionalities. I need to establish another connection to a separate oracle database to write to that database. Jira is never writing the same data to both databases. 

Is this possible?

How can I do it?

1 answer

1 vote
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2017

@Simon Huang, you will probably need to use a third-party scripting addon or write your own.  Vanilla Jira will not do this.

.pd

Simon Huang October 24, 2017

@Peter DeWittI am writing a add to implement this, but I am not sure what setup I need in the add on side to setup another database.

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2017

Simon, post over on the Jira Dev board.  You'll get more eyes for the specifics.

Simon Huang October 25, 2017

@Peter DeWitt

Peter, Can you provide me a link to the dev board? Not sure where it is. 

I see that you are a engineer at atlassian so I do want a second opinion from you. Do you think it's possible to setup a second database in the dbconfig.xml or a similar file and in my plugin code I initialize a JDBC driver connection to the data to query the database?

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2017

the developer community is here:

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/

Not sure about the db configuration.  Re-ask on the developer community.

.pd

Suggest an answer