Can I configure an auto/ default watching list for a ticket in Jira ?

John Doe June 25, 2013

Hi,

Jira v4.0.1#471

After I open a ticket, I always have to add someone specific to the watching list.

Can it be automated so he will always be a watcher ?

Thanks

9 answers

1 vote
Tom Baker March 12, 2015

These instructions do NOT work for JIRA 6.4-OD

I have the JIRA Suite Utilities:

• com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

...but there is no "watchers" field under custom fields... so there is no way to edit the default values.

• /secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa

Nor does watchers show up under the project fields:

• /plugins/servlet/project-config/<project>/fields

What am I missing?

- Tom

1 vote
Rudy Setiawan March 11, 2014

hi Venkat, I tried to look for the Watchers Field but it's not there under the Custom Fields. Is it because I am using 6.1.4 ? Then I tried to add a Custom Fields with the User picker but I can only add one user as the default value and not multiple users. How will it work if I want multiple users be part of this watchers when the issue is created.

1 vote
V June 27, 2013

The "Update Issue Custom Field " post function comes by the Jira Suite Utilities plugin. Check the compatible version for your Jira version

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

If you want to auto populate the watchers field before creating issue, add the users as default value for the watchers field Under Custom fields.

Custom fields -> locate watchers field -> click configure -> select edit default value -> add the required users

Hope it helps.

1 vote
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2013

Just add the user/s in the notification scheme.

0 votes
Mohammed Davoodi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2016

Our organization has developed a plugin to do exactly this. You can automatically watch issues based on any JQL rules you specify. You can find the plugin here.

0 votes
V June 27, 2013

The Update Issue Custom Field " post function comes by Jira Suite utilities plugin. Check the compatible version for your jira

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

If you want to auto populate the watchers field before creating issue, add the users as default value for the watchers field under custom fields.

Custom fields -> locate watchers field -> click configure -> select edit default value -> add the users

Hope this helps

0 votes
V June 25, 2013

If you want to add users as watchers after creating issue, try "Update Issue Custom Field " post function.

If you want to auto populate the watchers field before creating issue, add the users as default value for the watchers field.

John Doe June 27, 2013

Hi,

Can you please elaborate how to do this ? Didnt find the way for both of your propositions

Thanks

John Doe June 27, 2013

Hi,

Can you please elaborate how to do this ? Didnt find the way for both of your propositions

Thanks

0 votes
John Doe June 25, 2013
Thanks, I'll check that, no idea yet how the scripting thing works in Jira
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2013

See the answer from @Venkat, it will be easy for you then.

0 votes
John Doe June 25, 2013
I understand. But through the "watching" it's not possible ?
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2013

Suggest an answer