Can I assign a value to a custom field at time of Issue Creation based on the JIRA Project the Issue is created in?

Edward Geddes March 18, 2013

Here is my scenario:

I have multiple JIRA Projects using the same workflow and I need to 'tag' each Issue with the originating Project because my Issues can move Projects and I need to tie/link it back to the original Project.

I want to automatically assign/populate a value for a custom field (single select) @ the time an Issue is created based on the JIRA Project in which the Issue is created.

is this possible?

Regards,

Eddie

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2013

Hi Eddie

You can configure different custom field option value differently for numerous different combinations of issue types and projects.

For more informatio, please check this documentation: Custom Field Context

Hope it helps

Cheer :)

0 votes
Jos Braaksma March 19, 2013

[shameless plug] "Slingshot UpdateFields" post function or listener can help you, see here.

The post function can set (or add) virtually all issue fields, not just basic ones, including customfields. As input it can take a fixed value (e.g. username, emailadress), an other fields (e.g. project), or it can even do some simple calculations/lookups. You can create a read-only custom text field and set it using this add-on.

Besides the postfunction, Slingshot UpdateFields comes with a configurable Listener to synchronize data fields between related (linked, parent, subtask) issues or within one issue, which could also be used in your case.

Suggest an answer