galen hao August 16, 2016

Can I add new project type in JIRA? If yes, how can I do that? Thanks

image2016-8-17 13:48:50.png

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2016

I think there's a slight confusion here, possibly caused by the use of language on-screen and in Atlassian's docs (not by us end-users!)

There are two things being discussed as though they are the same thing, and they are not.

Project Type
As shown in the screenshot in the original question, these project types are a way of grouping projects together.  They are supplied by the three applications - JIRA Core gives us "business", JIRA Software gives us "Software" and JIRA Service Desk would add "Service Desk" to the list.

Applications add these groups.  I think they can also be added by add-ons, not just the applications.

Project templates

These are different configurations used when creating a project, which try to help you get the config for a different style of project right.  There are several templates for each project type.  The templates also set the project type on the project when they are used to create a new project.  They are all handled by (built in) add-ons, and you can write your own templates, and use the rather excellent Wittified add-on that Bart refers to for managing and creating them too.

So, either way, you're going to need to do something in an add-on to create a fourth type and it's not as simple as just creating a new project template.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2016

So am I right in assuming that Wittified add-on doesn't allow you to create new project types? As mentioned in the original question? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2016

The last time I used it, no, it could not create new project types, it was for handling templates.  As far as I can tell it still doesn't.

0 votes
Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2016
0 votes
Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2016

HI 

For custom project types you need to develop your own template or else you can find already developed Add-on here.

galen hao August 16, 2016

Thanks Yogesh!

Could you help to show some steps of how to setup a new project type pls?

I can't find where to setup it.

Yogesh Mude[Jira]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2016

as me and @Bart Meerveld mentioned in above comment you need to develop your own Template or else you can Add-ons.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2016

Where exactly does the plugin allow you to create new project types? 
I haven't explored it extensively but from overview, all I could see is that it helps you just create projects?  

Bart Meerveld
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 17, 2016

Suggest an answer