Can I add/modify the story fields?

Adan Perez February 22, 2017

To encourage my product team to follow the Gherkin Syntax for user stories, I would like to modify the Story templates fields to insert wording such as "As a product manager, I would like to..." for the Description and "Given...When...Then" for Acceptance Criteria. Is it possible to make these modifications to apply to all Story ticket templates?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2017

No, as the fields are simply fields.   You could do it in a more rigourous way though:

• remove description and your custom acceptance criteria from the project via screen or field config
  • Add fields for:
    • As role: (drop-down)
    • I would like to
    • Given
    • When
    • Then
Adan Perez February 23, 2017

Would you be able to elaborate on the process to accomplish this?  I assume I'd have to have admin privileges, which I can get.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2017

Find the "issue type screen scheme" for the project, go into it and drill down into the screens that are in use.  You'll need to add the new fields in the custom field section, and then add them to the right screens.

There's a good introduction at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/project-screens-schemes-and-fields-861253368.html

Suggest an answer