Can I add a task that has been completed to an epic?

Yara Rodriguez November 2, 2017

We are moving our data into Jira and I imported the tasks/sub-tasks through the External System Import. For whatever reason, some tasks did not get linked to to the pertaining epic. I was able to add some of the tasks by using the Backlog as instructed on your site, but some of those tasks were marked as complete when imported. How can I add those tasks marked as complete to the epic?

Still learning all the ins and out of Jira, so bear with me if the answer is obvious.

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

Hi Yara,

welcome to our community! Don't hesitate to ask any question you have, beginner's question or not. And your question is not a beginner's question ;-)

You are able to edit an issue, as long as it is not closed. That's why you can't add completed issues to an epic. But you can enable editing an issue for every single workflow status, if you are able to edit your workflow.

Go to the admin section and edit your workflow. Search the "completed" status and click on "View Properties". There you find a property called "jira.issue.editable" - the value is false, I think.

You have to delete this property and add it again with the value "true". 

Publish your workflow and then, your completed issues can be moved to another epic.

If you moved all your issues, I would set the property back to false. In my opinion, changing a closed issue should not be the normal case.

Suggest an answer