Can I add a group to another group as group member?

Gyula Brajer February 25, 2016

I have 2 groups, Manager and Directors. I want to create a 3rd group, Approvers exactly with members of Managers and Directors. Can I add Managers and Directors to the Approvers group as group "members"?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2016

Hi,

No, Confluence itself cannot deal with nested groups.

However, if you connect Confluence to Active Directory (LDAP), and manage the groups in AD, you can use nested groups within AD. The nested groups can be resolved by Confluence properly.

See docs here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/managing-nested-groups-229838455.html

Tibor

Kösz.

5 votes
Mohamad Khalife
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016

No, you can't.

In this case, you should use Roles, create a new "Approvers" roles and assign these two groups to it. then you can assign users of this role to specific permission or condition or user custom field values..

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-project-role-membership-185729456.html

1 vote
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2016
1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2016

Unfortunately not.

If there are hundreds of users in Managers and Directors group then i would recommend using the CLI plugin for it.

You can get the list of users from this command 

jira --action getUserList --group "testgroup2" --outputFormat 2

And you can add users to the 3rd group with thiscommand

jira --action addUserToGroupWithFile --file "src/itest/resources/addUserToGroupWithFile.csv" --autoGroup

Rahul

0 votes

Thanks for the answers, we'll manage the groups in AD.

Suggest an answer