Can I add a group to another group as group member?

I have 2 groups, Manager and Directors. I want to create a 3rd group, Approvers exactly with members of Managers and Directors. Can I add Managers and Directors to the Approvers group as group "members"?

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi,

No, Confluence itself cannot deal with nested groups.

However, if you connect Confluence to Active Directory (LDAP), and manage the groups in AD, you can use nested groups within AD. The nested groups can be resolved by Confluence properly.

See docs here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/managing-nested-groups-229838455.html

Tibor

No, you can't.

In this case, you should use Roles, create a new "Approvers" roles and assign these two groups to it. then you can assign users of this role to specific permission or condition or user custom field values..

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-project-role-membership-185729456.html

Unfortunately not.

If there are hundreds of users in Managers and Directors group then i would recommend using the CLI plugin for it.

You can get the list of users from this command 

jira --action getUserList --group "testgroup2" --outputFormat 2

And you can add users to the 3rd group with thiscommand

jira --action addUserToGroupWithFile --file "src/itest/resources/addUserToGroupWithFile.csv" --autoGroup

Rahul

Vasiliy Zverev Community Champion Feb 25, 2016

Thanks for the answers, we'll manage the groups in AD.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

198 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you