Can I add a company to a project, so all issues in the project will be automatically coupled?

Pernille Thorsen May 1, 2018

We like your product a lot and think it will be very usefull. We would like to add a jira project (software) to a company, so all issues are automatically coupled/assigned to the company. It only looks like we can add current issues, but that means we need to make the couple when changes are made to the project.

We would maybe want to connect more projects to one company, but that will be a problem in the future.

Look forward to hearing from you.

best regards

Pernille

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2018

Issues belong to projects and are assigned to users.

To represent a company ownership as well, you've got some options

• Custom fields can be used to hold the data (weakness - they can differ within projects)
  • You could (ab)use Epics to do it
  • Install something like pro-fields to put a "company" field on the project headers
  • Install an add-on that provides "scripted fields" and script one that exists on all issues that works out the company
  • Or, the off-the-shelf solution - create each company as a "project category" and put the projects into the right ones.  You can then use "category = <company>" to find all issues that beloing to a company
0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2018

Pernille,

Jira issues are assigned to individual engineers and not entire companies or groups.

When you import your data via CSV you can include the assignee as illustrated here:

Summary, Assignee, Reporter, Issue Type, Description, Priority
"Test issue", admin, admin, 1, ,

Let me know if you have any questions!

Shannon

Pernille Thorsen May 1, 2018

Thanks Shannon, but that doesn't quite answer my question.

Why is issues not connected to companies? Maybe I am misunderstanding.

When you say engineers, do you mean Contacts? I am not interested in importing jira issues via CSV, just adding companies to issues as I make them in jira.  

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2018

As Nic said, issues are meant to be connected to individual users. Can you clarify what you mean then when you say you want the issue to be connected to a company? In general, the Jira instance is connected to a company itself, and then the projects are for individual projects.

Have a read through what Nic posted for more information on that.

We would want more clarification on how exactly you want to connect a company to an individual user.  The assignee and reporter will both be a single person (for example, a support engineer.)

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer