Can I Merge a JIRA server instance into a JIRA Cloud instance?

Julian Green (KMIS) May 16, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Migrating from JIRA Server to JIRA Cloud

We are trying to consolidate and collaborate more effectively. One aspect of this is to merge our multiple JIRA Server instances into a single JIRA Cloud instance.

The inability to do a "Project Import" leads me to think that this will not be easy, but is it difficult or impossible?

In this context "Atlassian can do it for you" would be difficult and "It cannot be done" is impossible.

I have read about version differences and bringing all existing server versions up to the current Production version is expected.

Thee list of current users on our Cloud system is a superset of the list of current users on our server. However there are disabled users with historical access to JIRA Server. We don't need these users, per se, but presumably they need to be migrated to preserve the historical records.

I have seen much written about project import workarounds for the Cloud and current work tickets which Atlassian has open in respect of project imports. Overall this has added to the confusion.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to "Merge" JIRA Server Projects into an existing JIRA  Cloud?

If so .....

1. Does this require intervention from Atlassian?

If so .....

1. what is the pricing structure?
      2. What is the required downtime?
      3. how does one go about this?
      4. what is the fallback plan?

Clarity would be greatly appreciated

3 answers

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

This is mostly the same procedure explained in the below KB article. Just, since you only have 1 Cloud instance you can skip the step #1:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-merge-two-different-jira-cloud-applications-together-779160767.html

I hope this helps.

0 votes
Ravi Kumar August 7, 2017

@Julian Green (KMIS) Can you please write your solution if you are able to perform this activity. I am also looking for an answer for same kind of scenario.

0 votes
Deleted user June 1, 2016

I need to do something very similar. I have an internal JIRA instance and a hosted JIRA instance at atlassian.net. I want to move the internal instance to the cloud, and merge the two. There won't be duplicate projects, but I do want to add the projects from the internal instance to the hosted, cloud instance.

I read that using the restore or import will overwrite any existing data.

How do I go about doing this without wiping out any current projects and issues on the hosted JIRA instance?

Pramode Varghese February 7, 2017

Hi @Brent Shinn ,I have the exact same situation. I need to move my JIRA server projects (with users and everything) into my JIRA Cloud site. 

Did you get any response JIRA support ?

Suggest an answer