Can I Create an incrementing read-only Custom Field on every new ticket of a specific issue type

Julian Abela September 19, 2017

Hi,

We have a project with different issue types, but we need a new issue type(Request) to have its own unique key which will increment on every new request ticket, so we would have a request ID.

Can this be achieved via some plugin or scripting please? I am not very good in scripting if you can help. Thanks in advance

Julian

2 answers

0 votes
Julian Abela September 26, 2017

Our users still require this, does anyone has any suggestion how it can be done please ?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

As Nic said, I suggest looking in the marketplace for a plug-in. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2017

Have you explained to them how pointless this field is?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2017

You would need an add-on to do this.  I think there was one in the marketplace.

Problem is that it's of little value.  The Jira keys are unique and far more functional than a separate request ID.  I think the question to ask is "Do your users really need another key?" 

The downsides are that they'd have to manually search for in a custom field instead of just click on in the ui or type into a quick search, and it would not be treated as an identifier by the software.  Humans don't tend to be too worried about non-sequential numbers in Jira keys, just finding their issues/requests.

Suggest an answer