Can I Add Default "Field help" text to a Custom Field?

Joanne Shovelton February 17, 2020

I have created some custom fields in my JIRA project and I have added a description to each. However, when I add the fields to a Request Form in my service desk project, the description is not used anywhere. I would expect it to be the default text used as the "Field help".

I can enter the "Field help" text manually, but as I am using the same fields on multiple request types, this is a very repetitive process. Is there any way of setting a default for the "Field help" text (the bit that is displayed below the field to tell the user what to put in)?

What is the purpose of the custom field description if not to display it on the request forms?

3 answers

1 vote
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2020

If you add the text in the Field Configuration (rather than the custom field definition) then it should display on your screens.

0 votes
Tiffany Vu February 8, 2022

I would double check the field configuration being used on the project, and confirm that there is description text for the custom field within that field configuration specifically.

You can customize the "help text" only for custom fields, by using different field configurations for each project.

1. Go to Settings > Issues > Field Configurations
  2. Select the correct Field Configuration that needs text for its custom field
  3. Locate the custom field that you would like to edit
  4. Under actions column, click “edit”
    -Enter information regarding the custom field, this will be specific to this field configuration only
    -Select “Update”
  1. Once you have configured the description for that custom field, you will see an “information icon” (circle with the letter i inside). If you hover over the information icon, the informative text will appear.
Anirudh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 9, 2023

Hi @Tiffany Vu 

I tried according to your instructions but there help text shows in the create issue and not the service desk portal is there a way to get the help text on the service desk portal with an information icon.

0 votes
Joanne Shovelton February 17, 2020

It seems to come through only if I create a new request type and add it there. It does not come through if a add the new field to an existing request type.

Miguel Contreras
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 9, 2024

Is there a way to get it to display for older tickets as well? We have gone through a rebrand and are using some of the same fields but with different values and need some of the older tickets that are not closed yet to have the new values but the help text is not updating so people are not sure which of the options to use

Suggest an answer