Can Crowd be used to automate JIRA logins using Active Directory/LDAP credentials?

Eric Gross September 26, 2012

Does Crowd create an SSO environment for Active Directory users? If I implemented Crowd with JIRA, would users be automatically authenticated with JIRA when they log onto Windows? Looking at Crowd, I cannot tell if it is just for managing credentials in Atlassian applications, or if it allows what I am thinking. Also, if I were to implement Crowd, would it be able to change credentials/user settings in AD?

2 answers

2 votes
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

To achieve auto-login with Jira (and Confluence) using Windows logged in user, you need a custom authenticator.

One of the solutions is to setup NTLM authenticator.

TechTime Initiative Group, an Atlassian Expert in New Zealand has been providing NTLMv2 authenticator for Confluence and Jira, based on Jespa from IOPlex for over 3 years at a quite reasonable one-off price of NZ$150 (plus Jespa's license fee). You can download a free trial to use with trial Jespa and eventually buy authenticator+Jespa bundle directly from us.

Crowd is not really required in the case of auto-login, though if you have other applications in the picture it may come handy, though often purely for administrative purposes).

Eric Gross September 26, 2012

Ah okay, so crowd won't do auto-logins on it's own. I'll have to look into any documentation related to creating a custom authenticator, and the NTLM authenticator you listed. Thanks!

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

Does TechTime Initiative Group have a Kerberos implementation for Microsoft AD/ JIRA authentication?

1 vote
TechTime Initiative Group May 28, 2013

No, we do NTLMv2 only. It works and works well.

For Kerberos contact AppFusions - https://www.appfusions.com/display/KBRSCJ/Home

Suggest an answer