CSV import comments, author, date

julian bankston September 7, 2012

Is there a way to associate the comment author and date to the comment body using the CSV importer? If not is there a more efficient way to do this? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2012

Sure, there is please use following syntax for the comment columns: "01/01/2012 10:10;Admin; This comment works".

Remember that the data format must math the one set during the wizard.

Sufian Rashid November 7, 2017

I have prepared the CSV as mentioned above; however i am stuck at mapping. There is no 'comment' column in dropdown to map to (as shown in screenshot below).

So where do I import the comments?JIRA CSV Comment Import.png

Like Kiran likes this
Kelly Albrecht November 22, 2017

@Sufian Rashid, I'm having the same issue, did you find a solution?

Sufian Rashid November 23, 2017

Hi @Kelly Albrecht

Yes i found the solution. Actually there are two imports.

One is 'Bulk Create CSV Import' and other is 'External CSV Import'

When i used the external import; i found all the missing fields there.

Please see below screenshots for more details.

Step 1:

step1.png

Step 2:

step2.png

Step 3:step3.png

Like # people like this
Kelly Albrecht November 23, 2017

@Sufian Rashid! Thank you so much!!

Like Kiran likes this
Andrei Bragarenco December 30, 2018

Thanks

Anvita Kesharwani October 12, 2020

@Sufian Rashid 

I am using External CSV import only but i cant find option to map comment field.

Like atlassian-admin likes this
0 votes
kvn_ln March 27, 2018

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to set in the CSV if the comment is private or public ?

In case of Service Desk import for example.

Best regards,

kvn_ln

Frédéric Camblor June 24, 2018

+1 Would really appreciate a way to import comment visibility

Like # people like this
Jonathan Zschau February 8, 2019

I do not have an answer to this, but this relates to an ongoing thread I posted a while back. If they were to ever add this functionality, being able to control comment visibility at the bulk import level would also be nice... 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Service-Desk-Email-Handler-amp-Comments/qaq-p/922673

Andrew Ball October 6, 2019

I have been trying to resolve this in recent days. A CSV with comments with date and time (12 hour clock) imported all times as AM - not good. That was using "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm a" as the date import mask in JIRA. 

In the end, I converted all the comment times in the CSV to 24 hour format and removed the AM PM suffix using search and replace in Excel. So you end up with this structure (note the space between date and time):

10/10/2019 16:45;<userid>;comment detail

The date mask in JIRA was set to "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm" 

This worked perfectly, gave the comment the correct time and date and attributed it to the correct user (provided the user ID maps to a live account).

My userID was actually mapped to a staff number but yours will be different. 

Might hopefully be of help to someone. Amending all the comments was painful but can be automated with a bit of creative thinking to identify a unique string then just search and replace. 

Andrew

John Tolle February 26, 2021

There is a bug in the documentation that indicates that the comment date format is always "dd/MM/yyyy HH:mm" (as Andrew shows above), but that is not always the case. The format is actually whatever you decide when you setup the import initially, so comment date format must match the format of all other date fields.  The default is actually:

dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

Even though, no matter what date format you choose, the import wizard always shows the following syntax while mapping a field to the Comment Body field:

To preserve the comment author/date use format. E.g. "05/05/2010 11:20:30; adam; This is a comment."

I've created a ticket with Atlassian to update their documentation, including the message displayed above, accordingly.

https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/23/JST-639883

I'll update this with a non-support issue number once they provide one (either existing or new).

Like atlassian-admin likes this
John Tolle March 5, 2021

Please vote for this issue to ensure that it gets enough attention so that the Atlassian documentation is updated at the very least or, preferably, so that Atlassian updates the importer to properly reflect the expected date format based on what you chose at the start of the process:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76140

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer