CSV Import in JIRA

aloks August 29, 2013

I was importing a CSV file in JIRA. While importing it created aroun 95+ users in JIRA. Is it possible to revert back this operation or delete the newly created users.

2 answers

0 votes
aloks September 9, 2013

I am getting For the CSV import to be successful, you must specify a CSV header row that corresponds to the Project key, while uploading issues for multiple projects.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2013

Not really - Jira doesn't do much in the way of "reversion".

You can delete the new users, but the reason it created them is likely to be because you used them as the reporter or assignee, and Jira won't let you delete them until you've reassigned them and/or changed the reporter.

It's also a bit of a manual process, although you could try some scripting, 95 maybe in the range where it will be less effort (but a lot more boring) to click through them all.

aloks August 29, 2013

I deleted all the uploaded issues. Those users are still there.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2013

Issues and users are separate things. Deleting the issues should mean you can safely delete all the new users, but there's no way to delete a user just because you've deleted an issue. They're independent objects.

aloks September 4, 2013

Hi Nic,

I am facing a lot of problems as CSV import has added values inside the fields.

Like we have a priority field: which is having values like

HIGH > CRITICAL > MEDIUM > LOW

and CSV file is having

1-HIGH > 2-CRITICAL > 3-MEDIUM > 4-LOW

now it has added 1-HIGH > 2-CRITICAL > 3-MEDIUM > 4-LOW fields in the priority along with the earlier fields.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013

Two things to mention.

for cleanup use bulk edit to change all priorities e.g, from 1-HIGH to HIGH after that delete 1-HIGH from the priorities

For Future imports you need to map the values to existing values. Therefor you need to tick the check box behind the field mapping (I guess it was step 3). In step 4 you then map the values so 1-HIGH becomes HIGH.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2013

I have nothing to add to Udo's answer - you did not map the priorities on import, and to fix it, you need to bulk edit and then delete the extra priorities.

aloks September 9, 2013

I am getting "For the CSV import to be successful, you must specify a CSV header row that corresponds to the Project key," while uploading issues for multiple projects.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2013

You got two options regarding the project.

One is in the second step to define in which project you want to import your data (only one project possible).

The second is you got a column in your csv file which contains the project key (there you can import issues into different projects). You need to map that column to project or project key (don't recall exactly).

aloks September 9, 2013

Thanks Udo , I am modifying CSV itself to accomodate Project Keys.

Is there any way we can add weblinks through CSV.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2013

Depends on what you mean by "weblinks". If you include urls in your CSV (obviously being imported into text fields, or even url fields), then you'll get urls in your text.

If you mean something else by weblinks, you'll need to explain further.

aloks September 10, 2013

Thanks Nic, what I am trying to achieve is adding urls from CSV to MoreActions>>Links>>WebLinks directly. As it's an action so I understand that it won't be available as a field. Do we have some workaround for this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2013

But what do you mean by "weblinks"? I can't think about possible workarounds unless I know what you are talking about.

Kiran John January 8, 2020

I think alok singh is referring to Remotelink in Jira, Is there any way we can import remotelinks( weblink) via CSV import.

Suggest an answer