CSV Import Questions (from Unfuddle)

Mike Rodbell September 24, 2014

I'm preparing a csv file with the source information from unfuddle. Initially, the work items are all bugs. I'm hitting some issues in the import and hope that you can help. The challenges are that:

• several issues are being refused because the system tells me that it is unable to assign issues to a user (the user is in the system) The error message is
2014-09-24 14:39:51,419 ERROR - Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ User 'xxx' cannot be assigned issues. ]
  • I'm not clear on how to import the defect creation dates? There doesn't appear to be a field to which those may be mapped.
  • Do all components need to be pre-established to import those values (I'm assuming that to be the case)

If there are some guidelines as to how to prepare/sequence the import, that would be great!

3 answers

1 vote
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2014

The most useful documentation will be shown at the bottom of the failed import screen, so be sure to read the guidance you're given there.  Unfortunately, the CSV import documentation isn't as complete as it probably should be.  We do a lot of migrations for our clients, and they can be quite a challenge.

Regarding your questions, here are some things to look into:

1. Check the destination JIRA project to make sure that the user indicated has "Create" and "Assignable User" permissions.  Depending on how you have your permission scheme(s) set up, there are a variety of ways to do this.
  2. There is an "Issue Created" field you can populate, but you need to make sure that all dates are in the same format.  You can change the format in one of the early steps in the wizard.  You'll also see notes at the bottom of the import screens.
  3. Yes, you will need to create your components and select list field values first, then map your CSV values to the values in those fields.

I hope that helps.

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2014

I didn't have a CSV handy to do a mock import, so I got the exact field mapping name wrong.  It's called "Date Created."  It's not a field in the sense where it would show up in Custom Fields.  It's a system field that is set when an issue is opened.  It is something you can map in the CSV import wizard, though, as long as you have a column with the create dates in it.

0 votes
Mike Rodbell September 24, 2014

Dave,

Thanks for the pointers. Your guidance on the assignee field worked.

The mappings I'm receiving don't seem to have any accounting for an "Issue Created" field. I'm trying to pull these into a JIRA Agile/Kanban project. Is it possible that I need to modify something in the project to allow for that field to be imported?

Mike

Suggest an answer