CSV Import Issues

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 12, 2014

I am trying to import issues. I am able to create them . I have entered assignee name in CVS but /when file is imported and fields are mapped, issues are not assigned to that user, also th/ere is another problem related to date format. I have used m/d/yyy format and when i entered 8/17/2014 in csv , the month it showed was January. Need urgent response please.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2014

Are the users valid assignees for the project you are importing the data into?

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 18, 2014

Yes, like my own user that i am using is a valid one. I can always assign any issue to my user.

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 21, 2014

what is recommended to use for assignee (username or user id)? , please respond. I am using User Name instead of user id.

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 21, 2014

Furthermore, If I add components e.g. Core Component , New Requirement in CSV file and these components are not already created in the system, will CSV import process create these new components for me or I have to create them first? same goes for versions, labels.

Also please tell If I enter same issue id, how jira tackels it . (Why I am keeping same id as in our case , we are just creating stories that have same number and assigned to different teams. We are not going granular to create sub tasks and link them with the stories).

Look forward to your kind response.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2014

It should not matter if you use user name or user ID if you tick the "map value" box on import.

If you do NOT map the users, then you must use the exact user ID that they have have in Jira - their login, and exactly as it is in the user list - case sensitive etc.

CSV can create components, versions and other fields.

However, if you enter an issue ID, Jira will treat it as an UPDATE to the existing issue

For sub-tasks, you can enter a field for "parent" if you already have created the parent issues in Jira and know what they are. Or, if not, then you can a column for "parent ID" and put in a unique ID for the parent issue and re-use it on the sub-tasks to indicate who they belong to. It's critical that you get your issue type column right in the CSV here as well.

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 24, 2014

Hi issues are imported now but i can not see the workflow buttons with issue. I have set the status field as Open. My workflow starts from To Do -in dev- in test- done-close. Is there anything else I should include in csv so that I can see the workflow action buttons and can perform transitions in the workflow. urgent response required please.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2014

You set the status of the issues to "open" in the import, but that is not a valid state in your workflow? Is that correct?

You'll need to either do the import again with a valid status, or change your workflow to include "open", with transtions to where they should be, move them through to the right status and delete the old open status.

I have imported the file with the right status according to my workflow and it is working great . Thank you for your prompt response. One more query regarding original estimate . How does jira treat this format. Like if i enter 720 is this hour, minute or seconds?

I am able to figure this out. It captures estimates in seconds. I am left with two of the problem areas after import. 1 - all the issues show creation date of today when i imported issues whereas my sprint started back date. does system allow me to log work in back dates ? secondly i want to see a burn down chart that has effort that has original estimates (total hours of all the issues as per orginal estimate) and a line o f remaining hours ( that should reflect total remaining effort). Is it possible i can do this in jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2014

1. You needed to set the creation date in the CSV, or it uses "now" because that is genuinely when the issue was created! You can log work in the past though, that's not an issue.

2. I'm not sure I understand this, but let's start with the obvious question - do you have Jira Agile installed?

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 25, 2014

great for the point 1. I will create another CSV that will have only creation date values and Issue ID. Can I use these two columns only to import

on second point , yes we are using jira agile and it is on demand.

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 25, 2014

I have tried creation date and it worked superb for me Nic. Also burn down chart curve can be viewed hours on the y axis starting from the maximum value and I believe it will go down , as the team keep burning hours and logging works against their issue items assigned. Please correct me If my understanding on burndown is not correct. Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2014

1. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSVand look for "updating existing issues" - I'm not sure it will work for the created date though

2. Ok, so you have standard burndown charts as described. As long as you put the sprint data in.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2014

Good, I wasn't 100% sure it would work on creation date, not tried it.

You are correct about the burndown chart, it will burn down as you log work and resolve stuff.

0 votes
Alexey_Rjeutski__Polontech_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

Don't forget about case.

Please use M/d/yyy

Aamer Inam: M-3521 August 18, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. What about Assignee issue. I logged with my own user (having administrator privileges) and assigned the items to my user but assignee is still blank.

Suggest an answer