CSV Export not exporting saved filter columns

Sysaccount November 14, 2017

I am using Jira cloud, I recently created 10 filters and gave permissions for the teams to access the filters(i.e. 10 filters for 10 teams). The teams are able to view the columns saved for the filter in the issue navigator view  but when they export they are not getting the default fields instead of saved filter columns. 

This functionality is inconsistent, sometimes it exports the right columns, sometimes it exports the default columns.

Any Jira experts out there to help me on this?

7 answers

3 votes
Michael Garvais May 29, 2020

Is there a real answer for this?  We are also seeing very inconsistent results on export.

Subbu May 29, 2020

I see consistent behavior as long as I do not execute a filter that I just edited.  If you have to edit a filer, I suggest you save it, (and may be clear brower cache) and then execute the saved filter.

Sarah Oros June 3, 2020

This is happening to me too, even after clearing my cache.

paula.white June 4, 2020

Happening to me too in the Cloud version - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - very frustrating!

Like Gross, Andrea likes this
Cree Myers June 8, 2020

(Cloud) Was a recent change? About 2 weeks ago, the Export (Current Fields) USED to correctly export the FILTER columns.  But now, no matter what I do, it will ONLY export My Default columns.  GRRRR!

Subbu June 8, 2020

Yes, I see a new problem with fields in the exported file in Cloud version - most likely introduced in the last two weeks.

Tim Burgess June 8, 2020

After a couple of years of trouble free operation of Cloud version , my saved filter suddenly doesn't want to export all current fields to CSV. Nothing had been changed at my end, - it just doesn't want to do it. It has suddenly reverted to exporting the Default column list instead the column list saved with the filter. Re-saving the filter doesn't seem to have any effect, nor clearing caches (as suggested elsewhere). This is REALLY ANNOYING, as it prevents us from running our reports in Power BI

I just want to lend my voice to the call for this to be addressed. It is a serious bug, causing serious problems.

Cree Myers June 9, 2020

Looks like they fixed something because it's working for me again.

Sarah Oros June 9, 2020

Same, works for HTML export, CSV export, and Email subscription across multiple filters. Here's hoping this sticks!

Cora Middleton October 18, 2022

Didn't stick for me. As of 2022-10-18  on the Jira Cloud, This. Is. Still. Broken. I see the exact same behavior as described for others, pre-"fix". Which makes Jira absolutely useless to me as a data source for analysis of even the most basic things, like issue open-resolve times. 

1 vote
Cora Middleton October 18, 2022

As of 2022-10-18 this is still broken for me on Jira Cloud, and I've eliminated the possibility that this is a browser caching issue (used different browsers for create/edit and export, respectively). This makes even simple analysis untenable.

1 vote
Cree Myers June 8, 2020

Here's an old (open) issue related to this that's getting several new comments complaining about current occurances. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69193

Seems like a lot of people are impacted.  How can we get JIRA's attention.  They must have broken something in a recent update.

0 votes
Jhan Knebel February 26, 2024

Oh look, 2024 and this is still an on again/off again issue! Seriously Atlassian, can you please stop adding and removing things at will? I HATE that I can't rely on your product to work the same time each time I log in.

0 votes
Kristina Haggård June 3, 2020

I found that chosing the right tab while exporting might be the key. There are 2-3 tabs to pick from (dont remember their names.. ). If you pick the right tab AND chose to export visible columns only, Jira will do its thing. (Server version)

0 votes
Subbu April 21, 2020

Selecting export of current fields option is important.  I still had very inconsistent and random results that drove me crazy.  What really helped is clearing the browser cache.  For the cache period, you might want to go back in time as far as the point in time when you last modified the filter JQL. 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2017

In the dropdown menu to export there should be two options.  Export "type" (All fields) and "type" (Current fields).   If a user selects the current fields option, it will create an export for the issue fields that are currently displayed in their Issue Navigator.  My guess is that they are selecting different exports each time and that is why they are seeing different results.  

Kristina Haggård January 3, 2018

We have the same issue with the export thingy, starting a couple of month back with export to Excel, now that Excel is not an option anymore, the same issue with the CSV.

The columns that I select are selected.

The filter is saved.

The result is arbitrary I must say. Some selected columns are there, but not always. Changing the selected columns does not change the outcome at all.

So I would say this is a bug, that must have been introduced around fall 2017 as it started to appear then. Before that the export worked nicely.

Kristina Haggård January 4, 2018

@Brant Schroeder, sorry, forgot to mention you in my previous comment.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2018

Are you on cloud or hosted?

Miroslav Kralik May 22, 2018

Same issue is happening randomly for us as well, we have Server version 7.3.6. Columns are selected and saved properly in the filter and for some reason the export does not respect it and use the columns from "My Defaults" though "Filter" columns option is selected. Any idea? 

Adam Dulberg February 21, 2019

I'm experiencing persistent issues with the CSV export of 'current fields' putting the columns out of order from how they're displayed on the saved filter (using Cloud). I am aware of a few things and have tested a number of circumstances:

1. On SavedFilterA I moved columns around, changed the query and saved. Waited a minute (in case of DB sync issues), and exported. This method was inconsistent to getting I wanted.
  2. On SavedFilterA I moved columns around, changed the query and save as SavedFilterB. Waited a minute then exported. This method was also inconsistent to getting the columns in the right spot
  3. Created a new filter from scratch and saved. First few times it exported properly then somehow moved the columns around on the export again.
  4. I'm aware the first 4 columns are Jira standard and will never change, this is fine. Its the custom fields that seem to have issues.

The summary is an inability to get the CSV export of current fields to kick out properly on 100% of attempts on any of the methods above. I cannot export using all fields, way too much information. 

I am an admin - not sure what the problem is, anyone have a solution? Thanks.

Priya_Kumar June 12, 2019

We are facing the same issue - any help on the resolution?

Suggest an answer