CSS Layout change

Johann Taljaard September 1, 2013

Looking at the Projects >> Summary Tab

There is a description field that takes some HTML. The field is only about 50% of the screen. Is it possible to change the layout of this screen so that the description field could be 100% width?And then the rest could be underneath the description field?

The HTML we would like to include doesnt fit in to the 50% description field.

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013

Oh I see now. That is JIRA 4 and I downloaded/installed JIRA 4 to test that issue, so this is the summary.

When you have additional information to show about a project (like Versions and Activity Stream in this case) JIRA switces the layout so your description gets only 50% of the page instead of the original 100%. Now, this is how it looks like in their css file (layout.css is located on my machine at container/tomcat7x/cargo-jira-home/webapps/jira/ui/layout.css):

.type-a #primary {width:99.8%;}
.type-a #secondary {clear:left;width:99.8%}

.type-aa #primary,
.type-aa #secondary {width:49.9%;}

.type-ab #primary {width:74.538%;}
.type-ab #secondary {width:25.266%;}

.type-ba #primary {width:25.266%;}
.type-ba #secondary {width:74.538%;}

Pay attention to "type-a", "type-aa", "type-ab" and "type-ba" classes. One of these classes will be assigned to the BODY element of your html output, when JIRA creates its output web page, like this:

<body id="jira" class="nl type-a">

This has changed at my machine, as soon as I added any versions to the test project into this:

<body id="jira" class="nl type-aa">

So, it got shrinked to 50%. Now, when you understand what is going on, let's solve this properly.

First, load your html page, go to the view source and see what class was assigned to your BODY element. Then, locate and open your layout.css file and comment out the original class definition and copy/paste the definitionn of "type-a" class (which is 100% wide), like this:

.type-a #primary {width:99.8%;}
.type-a #secondary {clear:left;width:99.8%}

.type-aa #primary {width:99.8%;}
.type-aa #secondary {clear:left;width:99.8%}

/*
.type-aa #primary,
.type-aa #secondary {width:49.9%;}
*/

.type-ab #primary {width:74.538%;}
.type-ab #secondary {width:25.266%;}

.type-ba #primary {width:25.266%;}
.type-ba #secondary {width:74.538%;}

Reload your page and have a chocolate :)

Johann Taljaard September 2, 2013

Super, I will give it a try.

We are planning an upgrade soon, would things be the same for the newer versions?

MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013

Usually things are never the same if you are upgrading a major version of any product :) But feel free to contact Atlassian Support to direct you to changes between versions so that you can have a better insight of issues that might happen in that process.

0 votes

Thanks for your help on this.

0 votes

Hi Mladen

As you can see, in the attached image (top image), there is a description field.
In the bottom image the description field shows about 50% of the page. I would like that description field to cover 100% of the page.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2013

Could you please provide a screen shot, so we can see what is wrong in your case?

Suggest an answer