I would be grateful for any advice you could offer in relation to a issue I am currently experiecing within JIRA.

I have created a workflow for managing Change Requests. At a particular screen transition, the user is prompted to enter the assignee and a comment.

The copy value post function on this transition takes the value the user has inputted as the assignee, and copies to a Custom field (type: user picker) "Application Owner". The copy appears to work, as when I look at the screen, the Application Owner is populated with the correct user.

However, I have noticed that when searching by the Application Owner, the search does not return results.
I have looked at the History associated with the JIRA and have noticed that the Application Owner value is "[ LDennis ]" whereas the Assignee value is "[ ldennis ]".

If I click the Application Owner field, and refresh (WITHOUT changing content), the Application Owner field updates to [ ldennis ] when I check the history. This then appears in the previous search which had returned no results.

Can you let me know if the copy value function is incompatible with user pickers?
Or if there is something which I am missing in order to ensure that the copy field value function works with User Pickers.

I raised this with Atlassian support and their response was:
"The plugin take the value for Application Owner field from user_name information (linked from the value of Assignee field) instead of lower_user_name information.(JIRA stores users information in user_name and lower_user_name (consists of usernames written in lowercase))."



image2014-10-8 13:13:57.png

4 answers

Hi Louise, 

This seems to be an issue with the order in which you're doing this action in your postfunction, I understand from your posting that ''ldennis'' and ''LDennis'' are different users?  Or are they really just the normal username and the name with all lowercase?

If it's not the case, make sure that the copy field is the first postfunction in your workflow transition as well to make sure that the change history is recorded and that the field is properly reindexed.


Hi Eric, @Ubisoft

Thanks for coming back on this. 

From the perspective of JIRA, there are two users.

The user as seen in User Management is "ldennis". This is the username that should be copied. However, when the post function copies the value of the assignee from the transition screen, I can see from the history that the custom field is updated to "LDennis" as opposed to "ldennis". I didn't think this would have much of an impact as the name still appers correctly on the view screen i.e.: Louise Dennis.

The issue is only encountered if you conduct a search where looking for application owner. It doesn't return all the results.


It is the first post function on the transition.

Is there anything else I can check?






Hi Louise, The view screen info is not really that important, as what is supposed to be transferred is the username(account name), not the user's name. the Front name (Louise Dennis) is just the for display purposes. It is strange, however, that your instance seems to be capable of finding a username that has the name LDennis, seeing as how Jira generally prevents you from creating usernames with capital letters in them. Past that, it might be an issue with your cwd_user database table which is causing odd entires in the index that could be causing the problem but the source of it could be a number of things. Eric

Hi Eric, We encounter exactly the same issue and Atlassian support is asking me to find the JIRA suites utilities support to fix this. Can you advise how can we further troubleshoot this weird issue ? regards, Terry

We have the very same problem. An issue is assigned to a user with cwd_user.user_name = 'U1234', cwd_user.lower_user_name = 'u1234'. If I copy this value with Jira Suite Utilities zu a custom field, the value in the custom field is U1234 (proved by look into the database). Copying the custom field back to assignee, copies this upper case value back to table jiraissue and the issue seems to be assigned to the right user, but cannot be searched by this user. Jira Version 6.2.5#6262, Jira Suite Utilities 1.4.9

Hi, I am also facing the same issue. Hope you might have fixed the issue. Can I know how we can fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

0 votes

Looks to me like your process does not index the issue that has been updated.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] we are doing the reidex in workflow post function. Please see the screen shot in another forum that I have answered May be you will get more idea on it by seeing my answer.

Nope, it's still the right answer, but I'll post over at your question as it's more recent...

I have put work around on this ( ). Hope it help others to fix for now.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Jan 08, 2019 in Jira

How to Jira for designers

I’m a designer on the Jira team. For a long time, I’ve fielded questions from other designers about how they should be using Jira Software with their design team. I’ve also heard feedback from other ...

1,084 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you