COPY VALUE Function

Louise Dennis October 6, 2014

I would be grateful for any advice you could offer in relation to a issue I am currently experiecing within JIRA.

I have created a workflow for managing Change Requests. At a particular screen transition, the user is prompted to enter the assignee and a comment.

The copy value post function on this transition takes the value the user has inputted as the assignee, and copies to a Custom field (type: user picker) "Application Owner". The copy appears to work, as when I look at the screen, the Application Owner is populated with the correct user.

However, I have noticed that when searching by the Application Owner, the search does not return results.
I have looked at the History associated with the JIRA and have noticed that the Application Owner value is "[ LDennis ]" whereas the Assignee value is "[ ldennis ]".

If I click the Application Owner field, and refresh (WITHOUT changing content), the Application Owner field updates to [ ldennis ] when I check the history. This then appears in the previous search which had returned no results.

Can you let me know if the copy value function is incompatible with user pickers?
Or if there is something which I am missing in order to ensure that the copy field value function works with User Pickers.

I raised this with Atlassian support and their response was:
"The plugin take the value for Application Owner field from user_name information (linked from the value of Assignee field) instead of lower_user_name information.(JIRA stores users information in user_name and lower_user_name (consists of usernames written in lowercase))."

Thanks
Louise 

image2014-10-8 13:13:57.png

4 answers

0 votes
Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2015

I have put work around on this ( https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/32514941 ). Hope it help others to fix for now.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2015

Looks to me like your process does not index the issue that has been updated.

Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2015

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] we are doing the reidex in workflow post function. Please see the screen shot in another forum that I have answered https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/32514941/subtasks-not-showing-when-filtering-with-assignee-field-value May be you will get more idea on it by seeing my answer.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2015

Nope, it's still the right answer, but I'll post over at your question as it's more recent...

0 votes
Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2015

Hi, I am also facing the same issue. Hope you might have fixed the issue. Can I know how we can fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

0 votes
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2014

Hi Louise, 

This seems to be an issue with the order in which you're doing this action in your postfunction, I understand from your posting that ''ldennis'' and ''LDennis'' are different users?  Or are they really just the normal username and the name with all lowercase?

If it's not the case, make sure that the copy field is the first postfunction in your workflow transition as well to make sure that the change history is recorded and that the field is properly reindexed.

Eric

Louise Dennis October 7, 2014

Hi Eric, @Ubisoft

Thanks for coming back on this. 

From the perspective of JIRA, there are two users.

The user as seen in User Management is "ldennis". This is the username that should be copied. However, when the post function copies the value of the assignee from the transition screen, I can see from the history that the custom field is updated to "LDennis" as opposed to "ldennis". I didn't think this would have much of an impact as the name still appers correctly on the view screen i.e.: Louise Dennis.

The issue is only encountered if you conduct a search where looking for application owner. It doesn't return all the results.

It is the first post function on the transition.

Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks

Louise 

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2014

Hi Louise, The view screen info is not really that important, as what is supposed to be transferred is the username(account name), not the user's name. the Front name (Louise Dennis) is just the for display purposes. It is strange, however, that your instance seems to be capable of finding a username that has the name LDennis, seeing as how Jira generally prevents you from creating usernames with capital letters in them. Past that, it might be an issue with your cwd_user database table which is causing odd entires in the index that could be causing the problem but the source of it could be a number of things. Eric

Terry January 14, 2015

Hi Eric, We encounter exactly the same issue and Atlassian support is asking me to find the JIRA suites utilities support to fix this. Can you advise how can we further troubleshoot this weird issue ? regards, Terry

Christian Hille January 20, 2015

We have the very same problem. An issue is assigned to a user with cwd_user.user_name = 'U1234', cwd_user.lower_user_name = 'u1234'. If I copy this value with Jira Suite Utilities zu a custom field, the value in the custom field is U1234 (proved by look into the database). Copying the custom field back to assignee, copies this upper case value back to table jiraissue and the issue seems to be assigned to the right user, but cannot be searched by this user. Jira Version 6.2.5#6262, Jira Suite Utilities 1.4.9

Suggest an answer