CLI - transition a linked issue (using a dynamic issue key)

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2015

Hey guys,

I'm using the Run CLI Actions in JIRA and would like to create a Post Function that uses CLI to transition a linked issue. I can't use the static issue key like in examples (--issue "ZLINKS-1").

Is there a way to do this dynamically? Maybe something like:

--action transitionIssue --issue "%linkIssue%" --transition "Start Progress"

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2015

Yes, it has to be an issue key available from a substitution variable. In your case with linked issues, I recommend making a JQL search the retrieves the issues that need to be transitioned. For instances, use the linkedIssues() jql function (or similar ones available from add-ons). Put this on the jql parameter of on the runFromIssueList action with the transitionIssue action as the common action. This will run the transition for each issue returned.

If the issues being transitioned are on the local JIRA instance, you could also use the JQL support available on the Transition issues post function from Update on Transition for JIRA. Multiple issues are handled using jql_result_list in the Multiple issues field as described in: How to update multiple issues.

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply, Bob. I want to set this to work on a remote system, is there something special that should be set to make this happen? In my Action section, the --server is set to my remote instance (and it is configured as well in my jira.sh file). The use case is: query via JQL, like you've explained, if there is a issue link to a remote system and then transition that remote system link (not the local issue). Summary of what I have: JQL query: issue in linkedIssues(%original_key%,"is cloned by") Product: JIRA Action: --action run --common "--project %project%" --server <remote system> --user <username> --password >password> Data: --action runFromIssueList --common "--action transitionIssue --issue %jql_result_1% --transition ""Start Progress"" " Also, how can I set both a remote and local instance? Currently jira.sh is set to remote system and works good (can create issues into it), but I'd like to do some local functions too.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2015

1. So are you saying in doesn't work as you have configured it? If so, look in your application server log for errors. 2. If you have more than one system to do the action on, then create another post function. Similarly, on the command line, you either need another customize jira.sh file or use the atlassian.sh file (atlassian distribution) that supports multiple adding more than one target systems. If you need further assistance, open a support issue - https://bobswift.atlassian.net/browse/JCLIP.

Suggest an answer