CATALINA_HOME Environment variable not defined correctly. This environment variable is needed to run the program

shabbaranks April 9, 2013

Hi,

Im trying to start my Jira instance but I get the error message as above in the subject. Ive looked within the environmental variable and I have the path to Java but there is no path to CATALINA_HOME which is obviously the issue - its on a windows server, am I correct in thinking it should point to the tomcat location which is within Jira? Or should I install a tomcat instance?

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

How did you install JIRA? From War ? the standalone bundle ?

If you installed from WAR, you for sure need some setup first: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+WAR

If you installed from bundle and you are getting this error, you don't need to install any tomcat (comes with JIRA) but you need to check what's wrong with the script (and see if it is not already defined in the environment of the machine ! pointing out to the wrong directory).

Try to set it manually to the root of your JIRA install and see if this works, something like:

set CATALINA_HOME=c:/jira

Install instructions are here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA+on+Windows

0 votes
shabbaranks April 9, 2013

Thanks for the info - the installation was from a stndalone bundle. Looking at the path within the bat file it was heading to the wrong location - to which I have corrected. Im now getting problems with the JAVA location - installed from the download and goes into Program Files - the problem being upon launching JIRA it requests that there are no spaces in the Java path. So Ive moved it to a "none spaced path" location, reset the environmental variable, restarted the server and am just about to see what the next error it throws up is :O)

Suggest an answer