Business rules for update tickets

Andrei Pisklenov June 28, 2016

We have an external monitoring system that create tickets and we need a function to update tickets based on some fields.
It will be a hundreds of business rules like:
1. If field "server" start with "testsrv*" and summary contains "test", change priority to Low.
2. If fiels "server" contains "product" and summary contains "security", change priority to High, change assignee to some special person.
3. If "some filed" contains something, then change "some field" to some value, etc.

How we can do this? Which plugins could use?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2016

For complex rules like this, you really want one of the scripting add-ons.

I'd use Script Runner, as that's the one I'm familiar with and I know it can do it because I've just written a scrut that does something like point 2 last week (and yes, I work for Adaptavist, who own it, but I'd have said the same thing if I didn't).  There are others, but you should look carefully at all of them to see if they offer all the things you need to achieve this.

Another option though - if your external system is poking the data into JIRA, maybe it could be coded to make the decisions on the fields and then just use REST to create the issues.  Might be easier than coding in JIRA.

Suggest an answer