Burndown on custom status

Rob Ormond October 31, 2013

I have added a custom status and workflow step to our project in JIRA.

The new step is Ready For Testing, and it sits just before Closed. Currently the Burndown chart burns down the points when an issue is moved to Closed.

How can I force the Burndown chart to burn the points when an issue is placed in the Ready For Testing status.

Thanks,

Rob

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2013

To burn down an issue, it must be "done".

Problem - I can't remember if "done" in the Burndown chart is based on the resolution of the issue (a resolution set to anything = done) or if it's the "done" column on the scrum board.

Rob Ormond November 3, 2013

Filtering doesn't seem to work.

I believe the burndown is based on issues being in the done column, as the "Resolution" is staying as unresolved and it still burns down.

So my question is how can I replicate/copy the functionality of the "Done" column for the Burndown, or create a custom report that burns down on Done or Ready For Testing.

Like # people like this

Ok, figured out that the burndown chart just burns anything that is in the "LAST" column on the board. It doesn't matter what the resolution or status is, if it sits in the last column, it's considered done.

Is it possible to change this somehow?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2013

Bother, it's the done column then. (Filtering was never going to work, that's not what it's for)

Simple answer is that the only way this is going to work is if you include the "ready for testing" status into the "done" column alongside the other status that mean done.

yeah, that's exactly what I have done for now, but it isn't ideal, I don't seem to be able to drag from Ready for Testing to Done now as they are in the same column, I need to open the ticket and click the transition button at the top,

also makes it harder to see which issues are ready for testing and which ones are really done, will have to create a filter maybe

Ankit Shah July 30, 2015

Hi Rob, were you able to resolve this?? we are facing the same thing with our custom workflow which has UAT complete as the last status on the board!..

Rob Ormond July 30, 2015

If I remember correctly we have changed to use the remaining time estimates instead of points burn down, and I have a trigger set up to automatically set the remaining time to 0 when a ticket is moved to the status that I consider "done" (ready for testing in my scenario)

Like # people like this
charutiwari November 27, 2019

@Rob Ormond1  : can you share detailed steps on how you set this trigger to set original estimates to 0 when a ticket is moved to say "Ready for testing".

Thanks

Marjorie Dutra November 20, 2020

@Rob Ormond1 could you please share with us how you set that trigger for the burndown chart based on your last comment? Thank you so much! 

6 votes
Mark Harris March 8, 2018

The simple solution I have found is to create different views of your work and progress by having multiple Scrum boards. We have both time based and points based boards feeding off the same project data. You can then map the statuses to statuses & columns as you see fit. The points based board is principally for backlog management & sprint/release planning, it's burndown report shows points. The product owner and BAs use this extensively so the quickfilters on it are customized for their work, especially the readiness of a story /Task/ Bug and estimation status. The time based board is used by the team during the sprint, it has a different set of quickfilters to make standups faster (e.g. one for each team member). All of our sprint work is broken into subtasks (at sprint planning) and all are given original estimates  in hours which we then track against daily togauge our progress. The columns on this board are mapped differently and the burndown is of course time based.

Adam R_D_ March 9, 2018

Hi Mark - I understand the concept of using two different boards for the same project if you are not using the simplified workflow... but each issue moving across columns on either board changes its status, so one board will be effected by status changes in the other.  And if you are using simplified workflow then adding deleting columns in one board not only effects the other board, but the workflow itself.  Have you run into any of these conflicts yet?

Umer Arif April 12, 2018

I found the same solution as @Mark Harris and it's working out well so far.

I have not run into any conflicts you mentioned @Adam R_D_. Will post an update if I do though.

Atlassian needs to just add in the functionality for the user to input their own definition of 'Done', but for now this solution will have to do!

Like # people like this
Umer Arif April 12, 2018

I found the same solution as Mark and it is working out well so far. I have an accurate burndown based on my team's definition of 'Done', not JIRA's.

I have not run into any of the conflicts you mentioned, Adam, but I will definitely update this thread if I do.

Cheers!

0 votes
Umer Arif April 10, 2018

@Rob Ormond1 You should be able to add a post function on the specific transition where you want JIRA to automatically burn down any time or points remaining. For example, create a post function on your transition to "Ready for Testing". The post function will set your points value to 0 when it reaches this status and that should force a burndown when an issue reaches that status. Hope this makes sense!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2018

That is wrong, do not do it.

Burn-down happens when an issue moves into a "done" status.  The issue retains the estimate value, but Jira knows it is done because of the statues.

If you set it to zero, then there is nothing to burn down any more, and you have no burn-down chart.

Like Huy Nguyen likes this
Umer Arif April 12, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- sorry, you are absolutely right. JIRA only burns issues down when they are done and JIRA defines an issue as done only when it reaches the final column on your board (whatever the last column may be). 

I am actually facing this same issue right now, and I believe I have finally solved it yesterday. What I did was create a new board but from an existing project (essentially creating a new view or copy of the board my team and I currently  work off of). Above I mentioned that JIRA only burns issues when they reach the final column on your board. So, on my new board, for the final column I mapped all the statuses in my team's workflow that I want JIRA to consider done (for the sake of burndown) to it. In your case, @Rob Ormond1, you would map your "Ready for Testing" status to this column.

Now, when you go and check your burndown on the new board you created, it will actually be more accurate specifically to your own definition of "Done" and not JIRA's.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Rohit Rao September 4, 2018

@Umer Arif I tried this but I ran into an issue. I wanted a board where anything out of 'In Progress' is 'Done' (say waiting for QA, acceptance testing etc). The problem is JIRA has a bug where story points are reported as zero if an 'In Progress' status ticket is moved to the right most column. Wondering how its working for you. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17090

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2013

Use filter to force the burndown chart.

Please see the page.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2013

I'm afraid that's not correct. If you filter it down to just the issues that are in "ready for testing", then you'll get a flat line from the Burndown chart.

Suggest an answer