Burndown Chart > Original Time Estimate - scope change tracking behaviour during sprint

Jake See August 7, 2017

I have Time Tracking enabled.

Before sprint start, I have estimated all sub-tasks and only sub-tasks original and remaining estimates. 

Upon sprint start, the burndown chart shows a starting Original Time Estimate of 168h. (I am able to switch chart between Original Time Estimate, Remaining Time Estimate and Story Points)

Halfway during the sprint, a team member added 2 sub-tasks to an existing Story, and then edited the Original and Remaining estimate of the sub-task (like before the sprint start).

I expect the Original Time Estimate to increase due to the scope change, but there is no change in the timings on the chart.

May I know what is the intended behavior for scope changes during mid-sprint? If:

1. issues are added/removed,
  2. sub-tasks are added/removed,
  3. issues or sub-tasks are moved to become sub-tasks or issues respectively within the same sprint?

2 answers

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

Hi @Jake See 

Try our Great Gadgets app. It includes sprint / release burndown chart gadgets that can calculate by time remaining  & time spent. Also, it offers an option to include subtasks. 

For more details, please read this blog post.

SprintBurndownByTimeRemainingTimeSpent1.png

Danut 

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2017

Hi Jake

You certainly should see a change to both Original and Remaining estimate, as per below :

Picture0006.jpg

Remember that if your baseline is 168h and you only add say 1h, it may not really show because of the scale.

Look lower down on the burndown page in Jira and you should see an entry like

Picture0007.jpgfor each item brought in or removed. The third column shown there is the time change for removed items and the 6th column is the time change for added items.

Remember that the time on all subtasks totals to the time on the parent issue, so your 1 and 2 above are essentially the same question, as is 3

Jake See August 9, 2017

Hi Warren,

The issue is that in my Remaining Time Estimate chart, I have 3 Scope change (Issue added to sprint) with 5h, 5,h and 3h increase, but the same is not reflected in the Original Time Estimate. I am pretty sure that your screenshot is showing data for Remaining Time Estimate, not Original Time Estimate.

I checked the 3 tasks, all three of them have Original Time Estimates entered. On the Original Ttime Estimates chart (and data table), the 3 entries cannot be found.

May I know what am I missing? Thanks.

Suggest an answer