Burn down

Niranjan Deshpande November 2, 2019

I have a team which puts points as estimates on tasks under a user story, and doesn't put any estimate on the user story. Whilst i find that strange, I am looking to change that and have them put hours on tasks and story points on the story. How will the burn down appear in that case? I have been using Rally earlier and it used to show both points and hours burn down on same graph. In current Jira instance the burn down shows in points.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2019

first stories don’t have tasks. Stories and tasks are at the same level. You can have sub-tasks under stories/tasks. As for burn down you can certainly estimate stories with SP and then set your board’s estimation method to Original Estimation and use time estimates and logging for all sub-tasks.

Niranjan Deshpande November 3, 2019

If stories and tasks are at same level why do we have an issue type by the name tasks in JIRA. I mean in JIRA world how is a task different from a user story? Also how is a sub-task different from a task?

I come from the agile central / Rally world and for me task is a unit of work under 16hours. If that's what a sub task is (in JIRA) then i would break down my user story into sub tasks (work units of a day of less), and put story points on the parent user story.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2019

Not everyone operates in the world of stories. Jira is used by many different groups including non-SW/agile focus.  Some just view things to do as tasks. You could create another Similar issue type and call it say Planning. If you only want stories then you could remove Tasks from your project to keep things clean. 

sub-tasks can exist only as a child of a task or story whereas a story or task can exist alone or associated to an Epic. 

Epic

Story or Task

Sub-task1

Sun-task2

Like Niranjan Deshpande likes this
Niranjan Deshpande November 3, 2019

If we decide to go with the below decomposition, do i need to change any settings on the board so that it shows a burn down of sub task hours as well as points? (i remember from CA Agile Central the burn down graph had both points and hours graphs represented on same graph widget)?

Story or Task

Sub-task1

Sun-task2

Suggest an answer