Bulk move issues

rstewart2702 September 30, 2013

I am trying to move issues from one project into another, and the Jira refuses to copy the Report field's value from the source project to the target project.

I have created a user group and added all of the users to it, and then granted every conceivable permission to that group. Also, I have added that group to every role. And the Bulk Move still demands that I provide a single value for the Reporter field.

What am I missing?

2 answers

0 votes
DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2013

You also need to make sure that the Report field is in the field config schemes for the target project

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2013

You need to make sure all of the users currently in the reporter field can Create issues in the project (at least for the duration of the bulk move). You can then leave the field blank when doing the move.

rstewart2702 September 30, 2013

All of the users in the entire Jira instance have been added to a single group, and that group has permission to create issues in the target project, as far as I can tell, so I must be missing something else.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2013

Ok, good start.

Next thing I completely forgot to mention - the user currently doing the bulk-edit needs to have "edit reporter" permission.

You also need to check that reporter is a valid field for the project and all the issue types (it's rare to disable reporter, but it needs checking)

rstewart2702 October 8, 2013

Yes, the user performing the move operation is an administrator, and is also a member of the aforementioned group which contains all users. This group has been granted all possible permissions on the source and target projects.

Finally, the problem seems to occur when the set of items to be moved includes items for which the Reporter is a particular user, "Steve." Here is what I mean: when I attempt to move only those items where the Reporter is "Steve," then Jira does not complain and demand that I supply a default user for the Reporter field in the target project. When I attempt to move only those items where the Reporter is NOT "Steve," then Jira also does not complain and demand that I supply a default user for the Report field in the target project.

So, is it about user "Steve" being the Reporter that causes Jira to behave this way?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2013

Hmm, "curiouser and curioser" said Aliss. Next question - what's different about Steve? What permissions does he have in the project? Specifically I'm interested in "create", but it would be worth checking all of them against the other users profiles.

Suggest an answer