Bulk move issue detail to a comment

Tommaso Gionfriddo January 13, 2020

I am looking to depreciate a field in one of my issue types details. Unfortunately, this cannot be done without deleting all instances where this detail has been filled out. I would also really like to be able to move the text in that field to a comment on the issue so as not to lose anything.

Is there a way I could do this quickly/automatically?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

I would do this via CSV export/import.  Run a query that shows all issues with this field value set, then export the results to CSV.  Edit the CSV file to just contain Issue Key, Summary, and your field.

Then go to External System Import, and choose import from CSV.

When you have selected the file to import, you will be given the option to map field values from the CSV to Jira.  For your custom field, map the field to "Comments".  Obviously map Issue Key and Summary to the same fields.

When imported, you will have a new comment on each issue.  You can then remove the custom field from your screens.

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

Hi Tommaso,

This other post describes a way to export data from one field and import them to another: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/A-way-to-bulk-copy-custom-field-values-from-one-custom-field-to/qaq-p/323932

Is this something that would address your question?

Suggest an answer