Bulk edit customer custom field

To date we've been annotating issues with labels to identify a feature request to a particular customer.  The problem we ran into though was consistency (some people would use a label "CustomerX", some would use "Customer X", some would use "Customer-x", some would mix case, etc).

We have now decided to create a custom field called "Customer" (checkbox field) to allow us to more consistently associate tickets with customer names.

As such we want to bulk transition items which have a label to a particular checkbox on the Customer custom field (so issues with labels "CustomerX", "Customer-X", and "Customer X" be bulk edited to have the "Customer X" option on the Customer custom field checked).

The problem: if a ticket belongs to more than one customer (say "Customer X" and "Customer Y"), when I do the transition from "Customer Y" labels to "Customer Y" I will turf the previously set Customer values.

Is there any way to add a selected item to a checkbox custom field rather than overwrite it?

Essentially what I want is the "Add to existing" functionality that exists for other fields which can contain multiple items (ex: labels or components), but on a custom field.

3 answers

0 votes

Why not use components instead of labels so that your options are consistent?

Because we're using components to track features.

Hi Adam,

For these exact problems, we built the Atlas CRM add-on for JIRA Cloud. This add-on allows you to create companies (and contacts) in JIRA and link them to issues. When someone links a customer to an issue, the autocomplete functionality will help them choose an existing company, preventing many duplicates.

d7cb124b-7d34-4f9a-bb54-3b6f66089a2e.jpeg

And if you end up with duplicates, you can fix your problem using JQL and our "bulk link" feature. You can link all issues that match the JQL query to a company or contact at once.

You can find the add-on here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/nl.avisi.jira.plugins.relations-for-jira/cloud/overview. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Maarten 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,006 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot