Bulk change adds me as a participant. yikes

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

I bulk updated 1000s of tickets and so I got added as a participant to all those tickets. Now JIRA update emails are no longer useful to me as I get updates about all these 1000s of tickets (that I really did not want to be a participant of).

Is there an easy way to remove myself from 1000s of tickets as participant?

Is there a way that I can avoid in the future being added as participant to tickets that I change via Bulk update?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2013

Depends what you mean by "participant". I'm saying that because there is a "participants" field you might be talking about in the Jira toolkit.

So,

If you mean the Jira toolkit participant field, then that is "commenters, reporter and assignee", and I'd suspect you are leaving comments during the bulk edit - solution is not to add a comment. You'd need to delete the comments from the 1000's of issues, which is painful.

If you mean "watcher" - that's built into Jira and there is a process that says "if someone does something with an issue, automatically add them as a watcher". You can turn that off *for yourself* in your profile. If you actually like it, then do what I do - turn it off, do the bulk-edit, then turn it back on. Again, there's no easy way to correct these 1000's of issues, you need "bulk unwatch", which isn't quite there yet!

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

thank you . Yes I do add comments. I am not sure how I can delete my comments from 1000s of tickets.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2013

Yes, it's rather painful!

There was a conversation about it recently here, but I can't find it. I seem to remember mention of using the script-runner plugin to remove them automatically, but it was still a bit of a pain to find them!

0 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2013

I use bulk edit to move 1000's of issues routinely and never show up as a Watcher on any of them. I also do not leave a comment when I do the move. I have automatic watching turned on for tickets I modify, too, and I do not turn it off before doing the moves. So, I suspect the comment problem may be the same as what @Nic explained regarding the participants field in JIRA Toolkit. I'm on JIRA 5.1, though, so maybe different versions handle the auto-watching logic for bulk edit differently.

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2013

Yes the reason is that I add comments to let others know why I bulk updated the ticket.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2013

Hmm, I suspect bulk-edit skips that then. @Randall Robertson - I'll try leaving it onnext time I do a bulk edit, and see what happens. I can't remember actually testing it, I think I might have just assumed it works that way and got it wrong!

Suggest an answer