Bulk Move One Project to Another, Retain ALL Greenhopper Data

jrhoades May 9, 2013

There are two Jira projects that I would like to combine for various reasons. One project has a small amount of tasks, so that is simple to move over to the other project (which has many more tasks and months of GH/RapidBoard sprints/epics/etc.).

The problem is that they KEY for the second (large) project makes no sense for its use. No direct way to change project keys (other than the bulk export, mod xml, import and re-index, which is risky).

I could bulk move everything to a new project, but we must absolutely keep everything from Greenhopper in its current state and intact (all sprints, history, epics, associations, links, backlog ranking, etc.). Nothing I have been able to find about moving projects mentions how Greenhopper will handle a bulk move, and I've only found similar topics that seem to say that you will lose it all, but maybe a re-index fixes it? (see: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/164816/moving-an-in-use-epic-to-another-project-loses-greenhopper-history-progress).

I'm just looking for a definitive answer on if a bulk move all tasks from one project to another, will all greenhopper data be retained (and if not, will a re-index fix that)??

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2013

Hi Joshua,

The Greenhopper data will be retained when you move all issues from one project to another. Things that I would make sure to look out for are making sure the project configurations match up if you need the data to remain intact.

In case you are worried about loss of data, you can always do a XML backup in JIRA prior to this as well.

Cheers,

Pelle

0 votes
jrhoades May 10, 2013

Yeah, it worked. The only thing is that issues in GreenHopper lost their associations to the Epics they were in, so I just dragged them back to their epics manually (only took a few minutes, so no big deal, but glad I had backed up the data, and the greenhopper HTML to visually diff).

Thanks, @Pelle!

0 votes
jrhoades May 9, 2013

@Pelle: Projects would match for most configuration (issue types and such), though are you including things like components, versions, etc. when you mention project configuration matching (or even project roles, default assignee, etc. I wouldn't think it those would impact it, just want to be sure)? Shouldn't be an issue, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something when I think of the configurations.

Also, to be clear, you're saying that the data will be retained, so I should still see all previous sprints/velocity charts, current sprint, current backlog (in the same rank order)?

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2013

Versions should match I would say since there are reports based on it. I don't think Components would make a difference, same as project roles wouldn't either.

Sprints and reports will be the same as well as the backlog. The only thing I can think of is that the issue key numbers won't match up after the bulk move, but that is a known issue in JIRA: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31260

I just ran a quick test locally and the plugin data looks like it transfers just fine :) Reports, Sprints, Backlog(with ranking) all checked out.

Suggest an answer