Bulk Change for organization or request participants?

Ana Sooter November 14, 2016

I have thousands of old tickets that were opened before moving to the Portal side of JIRA and was wondering if there is a way to update organizations and request participants in bulk? 

Currently going through each individual ticket, re-opening it, adding the information and then closing it again so any ideas welcome. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Guhan I think we're are using the Bulk update add on but Jack could you be more specific as currently I don't see an option for it unless we're looking in the wrong place? 

bchange.png

image2016-11-14 17:13:28.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2016

Ana,

If the issues are closed then, unfortunately, you will need to bulk reopen and then bulk edit and then bulk transition again. sad

Now, looking back at your original post. I'm trying to understand precisely what you are wanting to change and why. However, the fact that you can manually do this by "re-opening it, adding the information and then closing it" then i'm confident the bulk will work for you too. To that end I suggest trying it on a few issues:

1. create the filter
  2. choose bulk update 'this page'
  3. select a few
  4. transition to open 
  5. create filter that will show the recently reopened
  6. bulk update & edit issues
  7. using filter in #5 bulk update and transition to closed/done

messy...yes. I wish, as an admin, there was an option to edit closed issues.

Jack, 

Thank you for the response, what we were trying to do is edit the Organization tab and the Request participants tab under "People" on the closed issues. 

Were trying to avoid bulk re-opening and re-closing but that seems to be the only way to do it at this time sad 

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2016

Ana,

have you tried to use bulk update? the other option is to perform a new import, updating existing tickets. I have done this but it is a bit cumbersome as you have to cross-ref the old ticket system number w/ the JSD key and basically manually manipulate the excel file. IMO, you should start w/ bulk update and see if that meets your needs. Note you are restricted to 1000 issues at a time.

0 votes
Deleted user November 14, 2016

Ana, Bulk update add on is suggested.

Jack, the limitation of 1000 can be adjusted in the configuration by system administrator, but I would recommend not to increase more than 2500 to avoid memory error. I had the bulk update experience before as an administrator.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2016

correct and agree. had similar experiences so I limit to 1k to be safe. regarding bulk update add on. i'm not aware of such an add on. quick look in marketplace didn't provide results. can you include link?

Jack, I used Bulk Clone add on to Clone and also to update a few fields in bulk during transitions. You are right, the closed issues were cloned as New and I had to transition them back to their original status using the workflows.

To Ana, the Bulk Clone add on has more features than the Bulk update, but it worked very well for our requirements.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2016

Guhan,

thanks for the info. Note that the Bulk Clone (and most) add ons are for server only. I think Ana is on cloud based upon the labels she chose.

Thanks Jack. The Jira-administration tag made me to shoot the response. Good to know.

Suggest an answer